cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I, as a freelancer, post a project to see what my clients are seeing?

impactwebdesign
Community Leader

I came over from Elance and in the last month or so have gotten 4 good web jobs so there are quality clients if you take the time to wade through all the $3/hr jobs and scam postings. When my clients are selecting me and paying me they have several questions about the selection/payment process that I cannot answer. Am I permitted to post a job to see what a client sees so I can answer their questions when they get totally frustrated with the process?

It must be rather confusing since I have had Elance clients follow me over to Upwork and given up. Once is still on Elance so we did the job there, another was just about outside the 2 year window, so he will wait 3 weeks till he is +2 years and deal with me directly.

I would assume it is permissible to be both a freelancer and a client but I have read in these forums that several freelancers have been suspended for doing the same thing. Can anyone clarify this for me?

11 REPLIES 11
suznee
Community Guru

You can have both a freelancer and client account. I don't know you would need to post a job to see what the client is seeing but you can go in and look around.

You can also look at the help documents if you are looking to help your client.

How do I post a job?

What are my payment options?

lysis10
Community Guru

You can post a job if you intend to hire. Hard to identify intention, but as a freelancer, I'm sure you can understand that you don't want to waste people's connects.

It helps to understand the system, and if I can ever figure out something that I need or want, I will post a gig lol. It does help I think. I've had to tell people how to work the sytem before.  It's a "nice to have" I think.

I don't need to see what a client sees but if a freelancer posts a job for that purpose, I would hope it would say test or something.  I know what I would like and what's reality are totally different though.

suznee
Community Guru

Dan,

Here is a link maybe more suited to what you are looking for:

Bringing your Elance client account to Upwork

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23080962?

Client Videos information on Forum

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Client-Tutorial-Videos/m-p/99871#U99871

abdulrazaq89
Community Guru

You need to click on the drop down menu of your name on the top of the right corner, then click settings and You can make your client account and proceed on to post job. 

With one Click you can switch your freelancr and client account. 

A few months ago there was a bit of uproar when it became evident that freelancers were not even allowed to access help pages for clients (despite the factthat freelancers tend to have to spend a significant amount of time hand-holding clients through the process).

Valeria gave the response at the time that (rather than the simple fix of Upwork making client help pages visible to freelancers), freelancers should create client accounts in order to see how it worked, so that they could guide their clients.

As I said at the time, an Upwork solution to an Upwork problem...but at least you know it's the official way to do it.

@Stephen B wrote:

A few months ago there was a bit of uproar when it became evident that freelancers were not even allowed to access help pages for clients (despite the factthat freelancers tend to have to spend a significant amount of time hand-holding clients through the process).

Ah yes, Stephen, client handholdling and client education.

Not to worry, Our CEO has stated that Upwork is sparing no expense to make the hiring [sic] process completely intuitive, transparent, and instantaneous for clients.

Handholding, like the state, is set to wither away.

Best,

Michael

Stephen If that's how it's done that's how it's done but what happens if it doesn't say its a test and then people start applying even if it doesn't sound like a real job?

Mariska

I'm not sure what or why you're asking me... I only stated the way they  see it. I presume if you open a client account you can see things without having to go  as far as creating a job. I don't know - I'm only telling you what Valeria said.

I was just wondering Stephen. 

Just post a real job posting, hire real people, pay them, close out the contract. Go through the whole experience.

It will be some of the best money you have spent, just to gain that experience and get an advantage over contractors who haven't done this.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you don't have to.

You can hire somebody for an hour. Or thirty minutes, even. Or a $10 dollar fixed-rate job to copy-edit a couple paragraphs.

Hire somebody to redesign your website's css, or make a logo for you.

Hire an editor for your Upwork profile, or your eHarmony profile text. Could be anything...

My next job posting on Upwork will probably be to hire somebody to make and photograph a cake, the theme of which I'll write myself, and I'll post the photos in my portfolio.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS