pizamotas

Can I ask for more money?

This once happened to me.

I was contracted to build a simple computer application.

It was fixed-price contract

Me and the client discussed in detail what is it he wants and how much that would cost and how long will it take me to do it.

After I've completed the application the client asked me for some additional features which were not discussed before and I did not include them in my price estimate and contract biding.

Is it possible for me to ask more money than the previously agreed amount?

Is it possible for the client to pay more than the agreed amount for the contract?

This time I didn't ask for more money but I'm just wondering what if something similar happens to me in the future.

Or should I just not agree to add the functions that we did not agree on when discussing the price of the contract?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r

If it is clearly out of scope (scope creep) and significant (not just a matter of a little tweak one might want to do free as a favour) the trick is to pretend the client would obviously want to pay for anything "extra"

my standard rsponse is:

Hi Jim/Jean,

Sure, that's a great Idea and of course I can do this additional Whatever. The cost for the Whatever will be $ XXX.XX.

Would you prefer to add that as a new milestone, or a new contract as it is outside the scope of the one we already have? Either works for me, just let me know which you prefer.

Invariably the client either pays it, or suddenly remembers they don't want it that badly after all.

Personally I have never once had one gather the nerve to come straight out and say "Actually I want it free...."

So it is possible for the client to add an extra milestone for the same contract even if it would take the total amount higher than the agreed contract amount?

Absolutely! 

I also faced a client who forst said that i want 3-4 UI screens as a prototype for 10$ i agreed but when we start the contract boom there was 13 screens he is not paying me extra money for that what should i do 

@Abdullah A wrote:

I also faced a client who forst said that i want 3-4 UI screens as a prototype for 10$ i agreed but when we start the contract boom there was 13 screens he is not paying me extra money for that what should i do 

Just tell the client that you're looking forward to working on the additional screens once he has released the milestone for the first 3 to 4 screens and has set up a second milestone at $ XX.XX (whatever you agree to) for the remaining ones.

re: "So it is possible for the client to add an extra milestone for the same contract even if it would take the total amount higher than the agreed contract amount?"

It is not only possible, it is normal.

Essentially any time a client adds a milestone to a fixed-price contract rather than closing the contract and starting another on, this is a likely outcome.

I think every fixed-price contract I have had started out with a budget based on the initial milestone, and if the client added a milestone, the end result is a total pay-out that is more than the budget.

This isn't necessarily true for everybody, though, because some people plan a multi-milestone contract from the start, including a total budget based on the sum of all milestones.

@Petra R wrote:

my standard rsponse is:

Hi Jim/Jean,

Sure, that's a great Idea and of course I can do this additional Whatever. The cost for the Whatever will be $ XXX.XX.

Would you prefer to add that as a new milestone, or a new contract as it is outside the scope of the one we already have? Either works for me, just let me know which you prefer.

I'm sooo copying this... Sorry about my broken English.

pizamotas

Thank you. Thats all I wanted to know.

thebookdoc

Gotta emphasize what others seem to have said: Yes, you can ask for more.

Just this week a client asked me to read a book that he thought was important for completing his job. I said almost immediately that I'd do it but would have to charge extra for the reading time. I discounted my regular fee as it was just reading a book, but the clients have to respect your time, and reasonable clients won't balk if the 'extra' is something they really want you to do. 

Just be fair.

On the spin side of that, I got tipped twice this week by excellent clients. Of course, you can't go expecting tips, but clients who are treated with that respect may just surprise you.