🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I ask the client to change the price of t...
Page options
a73cbb11
Community Member

Can I ask the client to change the price of the contract?

Hello all,

I have a client who is giving me a very tough time. First of all, they are never active, never responding, and keep changing their job requirements. The client started a contract with me of 5$ for a 2-minute video editing job. Now, they are asking me to make a 5-minute video in the 5$ contract and that they will tip me an extra 8$ for the video.

Now, it is not an easy editing job, I have to search up and download the stock videos then match those videos according to the audio file, and then put in subtitles as well according to their requirements! and even the 2-minute video is not worth just 5$ because I am really really putting in effort for this.

But I agreed because I needed money to buy connects and I had to grow my video editing profile as well! but I have asked them that I will at least charge 15$ for it, they agreed but are still saying they will tip me the remaining 10$. Mind you, the contract is still 5$. Now I am not sure if I trust the client, what if they don't tip me the extra money and I submit the final work? Is it fine If I ask them to edit the contract price and make it 15$ just for my assurance?? will I be violating any rules? I really wanna know If I am secured in this scenario because all my hard work will be in vain. Somebody help! thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kkears
Community Member

Like Christine said above, you should have them submit payment for the $5 milestone and ask them to add another to fund. What they're doing is scope creep, which is changing the project tasks/deliverables after work has started. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

A promise to pay you a tip is worthless; they could make you work indefinitely and never pay you. Ask them to release the $5 and set up a new milestone to cover the fact that they're asking you for additional work, and don't do any more work until they do this. And don't accept any more $5 jobs if you think it's not enough money.

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Do the work that you agreed to and nothing more.  

Does this apply to every client?  No.  You need to use your discretion as to how much you want to go "above and beyond".  Always assume that extra work, not specified in writing, will not be compensated.

I have had clients similar to yours.  You give them an inch and they will try and take not only one mile, but hundreds of miles at a time.  Continuing to tolerate this type of behavior from a client will only make them do it more.  Set your boundaries and don't budge.  For this project, finish what was asked, submit it for review, and close the contract.  When the client attempts to open a new contract with you simply inform them that you'd like the contract to be hourly.  I can all but gaurantee this will put an immediate end to the countless requests - because now the client has to actually pay for them.

kkears
Community Member

Like Christine said above, you should have them submit payment for the $5 milestone and ask them to add another to fund. What they're doing is scope creep, which is changing the project tasks/deliverables after work has started. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths