Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I bill for this?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
1 of 4

Let's say you are working on a project (hourly) where you're working on someone's website, and that website keeps having problems, e.g. lagging, crashing, etc. Should you be billing for the time that you're sitting waiting for the website to respond? Or are you supposed to stop the time tracker while it's having issues (Assuming it usually works again after a few minutes)? Also, you know for a fact that it is not a problem on your end.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 4

Yes I would be billing them for the time after being certain the issue is not with my ISP service.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Yeah, I'm always extremely careful not to bill for any kind of problem that is on my end.

But if you're working an hourly project and the problem really is on their end (and you tested your internet connection against unrelated websites and found the connection is fine)... Then you should be billing for your time, even if things are going slower than usual.

But you would definitely want to inform them as soon as possible that their system is having a problem.

And if the problem is really bogging you down, you will probably want to take a break from working on their system and from logging time until they can fix things.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
4 of 4

Yes, I checked to be sure, and other websites I was using were running smoothly.

Thank you!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS