🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I buy domain and hosting on client's beha...
Page options
tarun_vij
Community Member

Can I buy domain and hosting on client's behalf

Hi, 

My client is not very technically sound. He wants to buy a domain and hosting he asked my instruction I instruct him but still, he was unable to do so. 

Can I buy on his behalf and he pays me in the Upwork account (he is ready to pay 20% commission). is it under TOS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Tarun V wrote:

My client is not very technically sound. He wants to buy a domain and hosting he asked my instruction I instruct him but still, he was unable to do so. 

Can I buy on his behalf and he pays me in the Upwork account (he is ready to pay 20% commission). is it under TOS?

Sure, that's fine, he can pay as an expense bonus. Do make sure the domain and hosting will be in your client's name and under their control. The same goes for renewals etc. You want a clear break after the contract is over and the client not having to rely on you to renew the hosting or domain or if there is an issue. We have seen too many instances of clients losing their website because it was in the freelancer's name, despte the client having paid, and the freelancer having vanished off the face of the earth.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Tarun V wrote:

Sure, that's fine, he can pay as an expense bonus. Do make sure the domain and hosting will be in your client's name and under their control. The same goes for renewals etc. You want a clear break after the contract is over and the client not having to rely on you to renew the hosting or domain or if there is an issue. We have seen too many instances of clients losing their website because it was in the freelancer's name, despte the client having paid, and the freelancer having vanished off the face of the earth.

thank you Petra for this answer

rmeske
Community Member

After the initial hosting and domain registration period or if the client contacts the hosting company and upgrades their service, how is this addressed in the TOS.

The TOS seems to imply that Upwork should still be paid a percentage of the renewal but if the freelancer does not own the account what happens?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths