🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I cancel
Page options
j_kesecker
Community Member

Can I cancel

Can I cancel a contract with an unresponsive client?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jason K wrote:

It is a fixed-rate contract. If nothing I have learned a better way of going about this process. Thank you both for your advice it is very appreciated.

OK, so there is money in Escrow.

Under *NO* circumstances should you end the contract yet. It's only been 2 weeks. If the client is still missing in action in a month or so, submit against the fundest milestone, editing the amount to $ 1 so it doesn't hurt your metrics. But not yet.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jason K wrote:

Can I cancel a contract with an unresponsive client?

You can end a contract any time you want to. Make sure you earned some money on it so it will not reflect badly on your rating. 

I would feel wrong trying to get any money as I have not really done any work on the contract. So it would seem that I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have been waiting on the client for 2 weeks to get me the files needed to do the work.

Jason K wrote:

I would feel wrong trying to get any money as I have not really done any work on the contract. So it would seem that I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have been waiting on the client for 2 weeks to get me the files needed to do the work.

Have you accepted an offer yet? 

In the future keep in mind to only accept an offer when you have what you need to start working. 

Yes, I did accept an offer. This was my first job on here.....live and learn I guess.

Jason K wrote:

Yes, I did accept an offer. This was my first job on here.....live and learn I guess.

Yes this ship has sailed. You have nothing to lose now, you might wait a little longer if the client responds or you have the chance to earn at least a nominal amount on the job. 

Jason K wrote:

Is it an hourly contract or a fixed rate contract?

Do **NOT** close it yet. As it is, it's doing you no harm at all and won't for another month and a half!

If the client does not reappear with the files by then, that's the time to worry. Even a $ 1 payment would render the contract harmless asfar as your metrics are concerned, so you could submit for $ 1.00 if fixed rate or log 10 minutes of time writing to the client one last time.

IN FUTURE:

NEVER accept a contract until you have what you need to start working on the contract and complete the first milestone or log 10 minutes of work if hourly.

It is a fixed-rate contract. If nothing I have learned a better way of going about this process. Thank you both for your advice it is very appreciated.

Jason K wrote:

OK, so there is money in Escrow.

Under *NO* circumstances should you end the contract yet. It's only been 2 weeks. If the client is still missing in action in a month or so, submit against the fundest milestone, editing the amount to $ 1 so it doesn't hurt your metrics. But not yet.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members