🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can I change my hourly rate while some co...
Page options
karampals
Community Member

Can I change my hourly rate while some contracts in progress?

I want to increase my hourly rate I have some ongoing contracts which is okay, but I want to take the next projects on my updated hourly rate. So, my question is can I change it now or I need to close all the projects and later change the hourly rate. My current hourly rate is okay for ongoing tasks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karampal S wrote:

Thank you petra for your reply. So it means I can change my hourly rate now and it will only apply for future projects?

ANY future contract is at whatever rate you and the client agree. This may be your profile rate, it may be something different. 

Either way, it has no effect on ongoing contracts.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Karampal S wrote:

I want to increase my hourly rate I have some ongoing contracts which is okay, but I want to take the next projects on my updated hourly rate. So, my question is can I change it now or I need to close all the projects and later change the hourly rate. My current hourly rate is okay for ongoing tasks.

When you increase your profile rate, that will not affect any ongoing contracts. Every contract is created at the rate agreed when the contract was accepted, and doesn't change arbitrarily,

Thank you petra for your reply. So it means I can change my hourly rate now and it will only apply for future projects?

Karampal S wrote:

ANY future contract is at whatever rate you and the client agree. This may be your profile rate, it may be something different. 

Either way, it has no effect on ongoing contracts.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help.

Hello! May my client change the hourly rate of our ongoing contract? And will it end up the contract automatically and start a new one? Thanks

Hi Ani,

The existing contract will continue, and the new rate will take effect immediately. You can lower the rate on an active contract, but you can't raise it. Only your client can raise the rate. However, you can contact the client to request an increase. We will update it on your work history to reflect the new rate. Feel free to review this help article for more information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths