cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my review of employer after closing of the contract?

Let's say the employer left bad stars and bad review to me while I left good review and goods stars for him. Can I change the review and the stars I left him?

30 REPLIES 30
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Oleg,

You can change the feedback you have given to your client only if the client enables you to change your feedback. Please, find more information about how feedback works in this help article.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria

The link in your discussion referring to a help article is broken.

Hi Sytze,

Sorry about that. My post was still leading to an old inactive link. I've updated it. You can access it here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
methulz
Ace Contributor

And why exactly would you change the client's rating?

Sorry Oleg, I don't mean to be rude or anything but I am guessing that if you left good rating to the client it was because he has communicated in due time and explained well what you were supposed to do - all the work went down without any problem.

I'm also guessing that he didn't like you that much so he left you bad feedback.

That being said, can you think about the other freelancers before your hate makes you blind? Can you imagine that after this job some other freelancer would be scared to apply for a job of this client considering the bad review (when the truth is that the client is good)?

Last thing, imagine that the client did enable you to change your feedback, as Valeria mentioned, what exactly would you wrote? "I liked the client but since he didn't like me I am giving him a bad review"?

Best wishes and all the luck for your future jobs,

Bruno.

I mostly agree with Bruno although it is quite possible that his client praised him in their private conversation "you did excellent job , you were great blah blah"and then has  left him with 1- star feedback. There are a lot of different people in this world and for many of us is hard to see the reason why someone would do such a thing. However, it happens. Learn from it, analyze behavior of that client (was he responsive or not, was there something odd in his communication pattern, etc...)I mean, it won't help you in this case, but if you take a proper note of this and learn how to recognize some subtle signs, it will save you a lot of time and headache in the future.

P.S. Bruno, there is a striking resemblance between you and  Michelangelo's angel , I am not sure did someone already tell you this-it is amazing really!

I understand what you mean, Natasa, however shouldn't the feedback be independent of what the clients says at the end? I mean, I always think about the client's behavior during all the contract in order to give him a feedback.

I have to be honest and say that, in my opinion, the fact that you can give the client feedback without seeing first what he wrote (and the other way around - client gives you feedback without seeing first what you wrote) is possibly one of the best features in oDesk.

And thank you for that last sentence! ahah I guess that is a good thing 🙂

Sure, sure Bruno-I absolutely agree with that -however, to clarify, I was referring to the part where you wrote,"Can you imagine that after this job some other freelancer would be scared to apply for a job of this client considering the bad review (when the truth is that the client is good)?"

If someone totally misled freelancer and told him he has done an excellent job and then gave him 2 or 3 stars at the end , I mean, I am not sure I would consider someone like that a good client (assuming ,again, that specific type of situation.) But ,in general, yes- I agree with you on most points..

And yes -it is meant as a compliment, but it is actually just stating the obviousSmiley Happy

Hi Natasa,

I think you're getting too "systematic" about "observing the client's behavior" and leaving the "accurate" feedback.

At the point of giving a client feedback for the first time, you will never know what he is like - whether he will write bad things about you after praising you on Messages, etc.

So the best rule would be just writing your honest review in any cases. There is nothing like an "accurate" review. That implies the review is based on what the other party gives you. Writing what you felt working with the client is the best plan.

If the client praises you on Messages and leaves you bad feedback, there must be some reason behind it.

Sometimes a client isn't as polite and grateful and in return, you wish you actually left an HONEST feedback than attempting to be polite, and instead actually expressed how worthless their work was.

I have had around 5 horrible contractors in the last 2 months. 

One logged 5 hours for a task that 3 other veleopers confirmed takes 2 mins.

What kind of review had i left him?

A good one as I didnt want to affect his future financial security

Kickiin myself after i found out just how much he tok advantage of us.

@Melody A wrote:

Sometimes a client isn't as polite and grateful and in return, you wish you actually left an HONEST feedback than attempting to be polite, and instead actually expressed how worthless their work was.

I have had around 5 horrible contractors in the last 2 months. 

One logged 5 hours for a task that 3 other veleopers confirmed takes 2 mins.

What kind of review had i left him?

A good one as I didnt want to affect his future financial security

Kickiin myself after i found out just how much he tok advantage of us.

Melody, you did what you thought was right at that time. I wouldn't beat myself up if I were you. We all make mistakes and we sometimes repeat our mistakes intentionally for emotional reasons. That's what makes us people.

However if you had 5 horrible contractors in 2 months, this is a very high number. I don't know the total number of contractors you worked with; some small percentage of them will be horrible, that's unavoidable but again 5 is a very high number IMO. Either you should increase the rates you are offering (check to see if they are all 3$/hour freelancers) or seriously think about working with a project manager for your future projects if you want to avoid the horrors.

It is also good practice to interview a couple of people for a job and asking them how much time something would take.

how can i change
Your Feedback to Freelancer  stars of my freelancer actuallt i need to give him 5/5 starts but mistakely i did 4.4. now i need to edit that. how can i do that.

Hi Shahid,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You can change the feedback you have given to your freelancer only if the freelancer enables you to change your feedback. Please, find more information about how feedback works in this help article.

Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Yeah, Oleg, you kind of need to chill out and let it go, my friend.
You leave feedback and the client leaves feedback. And be done with it.
Sometimes the client might leave less than favorable feedback. That's okay. You abuse the system and only make yourself look petty if you try to leave poor feedback in retaliation. Just take it like a man and move on.

Your profile maybe is not 100% up to date in terms of what we can see, but it currently shows just 1 hour of work and zero jobs completed, and no negative feedback. So were you just asking a hypothetical question, or did you decide that the best thing to do was to simply issue a refund to an unhappy customer?

It IS possible to leave a response of your own that appears on your profile page next to the client's feedback. But I find that most of the time contractors just make themselves look worse when they use this feature. So exercise restraint.

Honestly, hadn't expected such vast reaction of folks. I already figured out this issue, and my client changed the rating to good.

So, anyway, thx to all of you for your passionate feedback!

Lol Oleg I guess we all read too much into this-so funny!. Smiley Very Happy

Although, as a side note, just be careful about asking client to change feedback in the future-it can have a lot of negative implications.(I mean, if you do it often-I personally never had.)

Glad things worked out well for you:-)

Thx, Nat. You're right, he could become angry and give me one star.

this did happen to me. My client treated me like garbage and when I told him I'd like to end the contract because we weren't doing very well in the 'client-freelancer relatioship' department and he told me to go **. I left him with 4 stars because I did want us to end in good terms professionally because the communication was bad but I did my job as he instructed. He left me with 1 star. I so wanted to change my feedback.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Enrico,

I'm sorry about the outcome of your contract. You can ask your client if they would enable the option for you to edit the feedback you left, which doesn't sound promising. The second option is to use the link below your client's feedback on the contract details page and respond to their feedback, sharing your side of the story in a professional manner.

Untitled

This is actually the exact same client who was the subject of another thread being deeply abusive to another freelancer just last week.

I think the client needs a very severe talking to.....

Look at his history!! I'll go and find the other thread later....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS