🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I create a single (freelancer) account an...
Page options
q_talents
Community Member

Can I create a single (freelancer) account and represent the entire team?

Dear Upwork team,

Let me thank You for such a marvellous professional service that You build as I begin this letter.

I am writing to find out the best way of creating a freelancer account in my case and being an upstanding user, i.e. following Your rules.

Together with a team of professionals I have been creating videos, graphics, 3D models, and other similar products for more than 10 years, always working towards the highest standards. Our list of customers includes top-level advertising agencies such as BBDO, OMD, Leo Burnett, and Sila Sveta. We implemented projects for Mercedes-Benz, Bayer, Johnnie Walker, MTV, Eurovision, Johnson & Johnson, and other esteemed clients. Our fees are usually in the region of $5-50k per project.

Here are my question:

1. I am representing a team, and we do not work separately. Can I create a single account and represent the entire team?

We do not see any reason to create accounts for everyone or to act as an agency as we are not one. Furthermore, nobody except me will get involved in communication on the website and answer messages / discuss projects. I will be the only person to do that.

What would You recommend us to do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tatiana,

Unfortunately no, this is not allowed. Agency profiles are designed for users who would like to offer their services and work as a team.

In order to be able to work as a team, you will need to open an Agency profile and then invite your team members to join your agency.
To learn more about Agencies check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tatiana,

Unfortunately no, this is not allowed. Agency profiles are designed for users who would like to offer their services and work as a team.

In order to be able to work as a team, you will need to open an Agency profile and then invite your team members to join your agency.
To learn more about Agencies check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

Thanks for the answer.
Would You recommend me to begin as a graphics freelancer and upgrade to the agency level by bringing in my colleagues after getting sufficient positive feedback?

Besides, I have to clarify 2 more issues (regarding my address and taxes) in order to set up my profile properly. Can I ask You those in this thread?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tatiana,

Your agency profile will give you the opportunity to tell your agency’s story and showcase your brand, as well as highlight your past projects and achievements. 

Feel free to share with us your concerns and we'll be sure to assist you accordingly or have the correct support team assist you?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
q_talents
Community Member

Thanks Bojan,

The point is that we implemented all previous projects for our clients as a Sole Proprietorship, which entered into contracts with advertising agencies or direct customers. I.e. it was a natural person with corporate status.

Perhaps, having worked with advertising agencies for so long, I understand the term literally and hence consider agency status as excessive at this stage.

Let me describe how we do business, so that you understood better. There is a talent who works on graphics, and there is an account manager who answers requests and negotiates with customers in the written or oral form (the talent is present and asks clarifying questions). Then, there are several people fluent in different languages (English, Chinese, Korean, German etc.). Should we need sound design, musicians are invited who, in our view, are capable in terms of the task at hand. However, they might not be needed in a project and are not a part of our team.

To summarize, we have a talent and his assistants. From my perspective, an agency has multiple talents with diverse skillsets and supportive staff. As you rightly noticed, it requires a brand that is not associated with the talent, so that he cannot be googled without your service etc.

Can I start as a natural person then?

Can I specify my previous customers (e.g. Mercedes-Benz) as a standalone freelancer and provide Youtube link? We made sure that there are no contacts there.

Can I state that we speak several languages since we can involve interpreters?

Or do I still need to register the account manager, interpreters and the talent himself as an agency; to create a new brand (without specifying talent name) already, and apply for an agency-type account?

Heart Apologies for so many questions. Please understand that I would like to do things properly and make both you and customers happy with my presence here.

Hi Tatiana,

I'd like to clarify the difference between Freelancer and Agency profiles further, feel free to follow up so we can make sure we address any confusion.

Freelancer profile is designed to be used only by the account owner, offering their services and including examples of the past work they completed themselves. As Bojan noted, an agency profile does offer an opportunity for a team to offer their services as well as include information about past experience/samples of previous work, both as a team and of each individual team member. 

Note also that, in both cases, you/your team would need to own the copyright or have permission to use the work samples showcased on your profile.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for the reply. We are always taking NDAs into account and shall not publish materials that are prohibited for this purpose. Our customers' corporate secrets are as important to us as meeting deadlines.

Thanks again for the answers. I will confer with my colleagues to define the way forward.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members