🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I dispute my client's feedback?
Page options
6f420b0a
Community Member

Can I dispute my client's feedback?

Hi All, 

I'm new to Upwork, I took a TON of time to build a good profile and a nice job list. After weeks everything is just how I like it. One problem, my first feedback is 4 stars. 

My client gave one set of directions, I spent 3 hours doing the work. Then he changed the entire scope of the project. I was scared to death of my first review being bad, so I obliged and redid the work, another 3 hours of work even though the job was only for $60 job, but whatever.

The client then tried to change the entire scope of the project to something I cannot do and do not offer.

I apologized to the client, let him have the work, and refunded his funds. I even beat him to feedback and gave him 5 stars even though the client was really rough to work with, again because I'm terrified of a bad review, but he gave me 4 stars. 

Is there any recourse for this?

I'm already having a hard enough time trying to get orders because I'm brand new. Now I'm brand new at 4 stars.

Do I just give up and never log in to Upwork again? I'm not ever going to get another job on here. It looks terrible, and I did nothing wrong.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love the help.

I've learned my lession. I knew I shouldn't have worked with this guy.

Thank you,

Mark

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2e395a62
Community Member

Hi Mark!

I'm fairly new here as well, so I can relate to your fear of not landing jobs, not getting 5* for whatever reason etc. Suggestions regarding this particular situation:

DO:

- keep on sending proposals, never give up, never give in.  

- cheer up, have a beer, say F...It, move on

- be proud. As someone said here, over 90% of freelancers on UW never land any job. You managed to land 2 already. Congrats!

DON'T:

- EVER say in public feedback that you did things right but refunded the money anyway. You are advertising that it's possible to play the game with you and get your work for free

- EVER let the clients squeeze extra work from you. I have a rule - my free work for the client can occur only as an extra service for a client who paid for my major work and never should exceed 15-20 minutes of my time. And it should always be MY decision to offer it for free, not something that the client expects me to offer.   

You have a nice niche in a highly competitive graphic industry - you'll be fine in a long run. Think of some clients outside of UW, if you have any - maybe it might be beneficial to ask them to run a few projects with you through UW - you lose 20% of the money but can generate some 5* feedback if you play it right with them. 

Keep on keeping on!

P. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Mark M wrote:

Is there any recourse for this?

No recourse.
Also: One post per 4 star review is quite enough...

6f420b0a
Community Member

I know, I meant to put in freelancers, not clients, sorry about that

prestonhunter
Community Member

4 stars is good.

You should not be worrying about this at all.

re: "It looks terrible, and I did nothing wrong.

??

Why would you say that?

Okay, I'll just keep chugging along.

django_expert
Community Member

Hey Mark!

don't worry, I know you will get a lot more jobs in future. just don't lose your hope because Upwork is a professional platform and 4 stars is still a good review. so keep trying mate

martina_plaschka
Community Member

If you refund the full amount, the job will disappear from your profile. Aside from that, never reply to a feedback, it just looks petty. That you expected the client to be happy just because you gave him a partial refund is a misconception. That might apply if the only consideration the client has is spending as little money as possible, when in reality he has a job that needs to be done. This will be his first priority, no matter how much he pays for it. Not saying that he didn't try to take advantage of you, but expecting good feedback just for a partial refund is not taking into account the whole picture. 

You should never have given him good feedback, that is a disservice to other freelancers on the platform, as well as yourself. Your feedback should always be honest. The client could never have known what feedback you left before you left yours, since the system is double-blind. 

You can dispute feedback if it is verbally abusive or uses derogatory terms. 

2e395a62
Community Member

Hi Mark!

I'm fairly new here as well, so I can relate to your fear of not landing jobs, not getting 5* for whatever reason etc. Suggestions regarding this particular situation:

DO:

- keep on sending proposals, never give up, never give in.  

- cheer up, have a beer, say F...It, move on

- be proud. As someone said here, over 90% of freelancers on UW never land any job. You managed to land 2 already. Congrats!

DON'T:

- EVER say in public feedback that you did things right but refunded the money anyway. You are advertising that it's possible to play the game with you and get your work for free

- EVER let the clients squeeze extra work from you. I have a rule - my free work for the client can occur only as an extra service for a client who paid for my major work and never should exceed 15-20 minutes of my time. And it should always be MY decision to offer it for free, not something that the client expects me to offer.   

You have a nice niche in a highly competitive graphic industry - you'll be fine in a long run. Think of some clients outside of UW, if you have any - maybe it might be beneficial to ask them to run a few projects with you through UW - you lose 20% of the money but can generate some 5* feedback if you play it right with them. 

Keep on keeping on!

P. 

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I had opened up the feedback for editing, so luckily he changed it. But I did give a full refund so, aparently the contract will eventually dissappear from view. 

All in all, no one was hurt and I learned a lesson. Thats better than most days!

Thanks!

tlbp
Community Member

I've learned my lession. I knew I shouldn't have worked with this guy.

I think most of us have been through this particular learning experience. Cheaper than paying for college credits and probably more useful. 

30dcb51a
Community Member

Hello Mark!

It seems like you already have good answers, but I wanted to still write because I couldn’t relate to you more! My first experience was also very stressful even though I tried so hard to do everything right. But each project and each client is a different experience. I am sorry to hear your first client was so hard to deal with!

I had a similar experience where the client just manipulated the vague job description in the contract, and I received very helpful advice from other freelancers: make sure that the contract describes everything clearly in a way that the client can’t manipulate it to his/her advantage. Also, having the contract in well-defined milestones (again in very clear language) can help, as you get paid step by step there instead of the client giving you this, and that, and so on.

Similar to you, I have a hard time defining the boundary between providing good service (and getting good feedback) and protecting my own rights. But you shouldn't beat yourself up for it. As your fellow freelancer, I really support you on this. You won’t die over 4 stars. Just be careful next time when you choose your client, check the reviews they received, etc.

And even though conflict is not nice to deal with, I believe it is better to give honest feedback. Plus, as far as I am aware, the client doesn't see your feedback before s/he already gives his/her own?

Anyway! I hope you come across clients who appreciate your work and good intentions from now on. Wish you all the best!

Tuba

Thank you Tuba, you are very kind.

I have learned that I should be more picky about my clients and not allow vague job descriptions. 

It all worked out in the end

I will move forward with more caution.

abbas_tauseef
Community Member

I'm sorry to learn that, Mark! 

There are clients who are hard to handle, then there are clients who could scam you because you're at their disposal  for the feedback manipulation etc. 

However, a mere 4* review doesn't define you and won't hinder you from grabbing works in the future. 

As you've already resolved yours issue, lemme give you a sound advice;

Create a few projects relevant to your skills and experience with great thumbnails and the finest descriptions. You'll get jobs without even spending your connects. 

Bonus tip: if you're not a good writer and struggle to draft good descriptions, you can hire a writer for that as well. 

Good luck. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members