🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I end the contract myself?
Page options
missrosaly
Community Member

Can I end the contract myself?

Hi Upwork community,

As a freelancer, I’m just curious how I can end the contract without getting a bad review from the client. I find him so unprofessional and toxic. I’m not happy to render my service anymore at all because:

1st: Every time he wants me to update and have a meeting or touchpoint with him, he always instantly says a specific time without asking me if I’m available. I’ve told him that I’m only available 2-3hrs per day for him. He never asks me when I can. I have proofs on this.

2nd: He wants me to call him on his mobile number to have the meeting. Sometimes our meeting lasts more than 30mins and if I would do that, my time will just be wasted and not be tracked. So when he first asked me that, I said I prefer to do on Upwork or Zoom. He agreed. But then again, yesterday he asked me again to call him on his mobile. Like, are you serious? So arrogant and inconsiderate. I have proofs on Upwork messages of all these.

3rd: He’s not open for suggestions. At all. I work as telemarketer for him but it is all not just calling. It takes a lot of time to do other things. I’ve suggested few things since I’m also experienced Business Developer but he’s just so close minded and just wants me to do cold calls.

I hope someone can enlighten me on this. I really want to end the contract this week. I didn’t work for 4 days already because of these reasons and I’m also not updating him. I know it’s not right and also an unprofessional way but I’m not motivated to work for him anymore. At all.
4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

A freelancer ALWAYS has the ability to end a contract herself.

Likewise, a client ALWAYS has the ability to end a contract herself.

I actually know that but my main concern is to avoid bad reviews. I’m a top rated freelancer and if I’ll end it myself, he’ll for sure also leave a bad review. 

You can't avoid a bad review by ending the contract, because you can't control what the client's going to do. But, since you are top rated, you can use the removal perk if he does leave you bad feedback (assuming you haven't used it recently).

Rosaly V wrote:
I actually know that but my main concern is to avoid bad reviews. I’m a top rated freelancer and if I’ll end it myself, he’ll for sure also leave a bad review. 

If I were you, I'd close the contract so I can stop stressing about it.

Afraid of a negative review? You mentioned you are top rated so if you get a negative review, you can request it to be removed (read article here), provided the "Rules and restrictions" mentioned in the aforementioned article applies to you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members