🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I get rid of the "unknown device" notific...
Page options
amaponian
Community Member

Can I get rid of the "unknown device" notification?

I always open my browser (or any browser) in a private session. It has protected me from long ago.

I'm not interested in the Upwork warning saying
"A recent sign-in to your Upwork account from an unknown device or browser"

In fact, it bothers me invading the notification section and hiding me the ones I'm interested in.

Is there a way of turning off those notifications, but keeping the others.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sergio C wrote:

Hi, Jennifer!
Thank you for trying to make this clear to me, I really appreciat it. I begin to think there's something here that I possibly don't understand. Let me warn you that my English may be not as good as you could guess. Sometimes I don't say what I really mean. Greetings from Venezuela. I have mangoes, guavas and tamarinds. 
---
For a moment, let's not talk about incognito, cookies and caches...
Let's imagine the Improvement I proposed was already applied.
It would work like this:
1) Upwork see me coming: Loging in...
2) Upwork detects an "unknown device". (Something must be done)
3) Upwork checks my preferences.
4) Upwork reads that I don't want "him" to do anything in this case.
5) Nothing done. Close case.
That's all. What did I miss?
Upwork CAN do SOMETHING about it.
---
Sorry is I bothered you.
Hope this is a friendly nice chat.

You're not bothering me. I'm trying to explain the best I can, and if I am not coming across well, it's kinda sad I call myself a writer. 😄  So this is my mistake, but let me try to explain more.

The point of what they are doing is to help with phished/hacked accounts. They would not allow people to turn it off, because this would increase risk. By adding this feature, if someone phishes your password, you would get notification that something is wrong. 

Incognito mode is great if you are logging into Upwork on a shared PC. You would definitely want to use this feature then. On a machine that only you use, it's not necessary.

Another example is Google's gmail web interface. If you open it in incognito mode with 2fa on, you will always have to enter a PIN regardless if you've done it before. And Gmail will sign you off after a certain amount of time, forcing you to reenter the PIN. But if you open Gmail in a regular browser mode, you will not have to log in again or enter the PIN again since the browser is able to store cache/cookies. 

I often have client email accounts in incognito mode so that nothing is saved and I can't be the source of their data breach should I suffer a breach. But for my personal account, I have it open in a regular browser where I never need to log in. I have 2fa on the account, so even if I get phished I should be ok. If someone attempts to log into my account, then I would get notification that an "unknown  device" logged in, so I would know that I need to act. This is what Upwork is doing.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for reaching out to us. There is no option to turn off this notification as it is a security feature that informs you if we notice unusual account activity. Please note that the system may be unable to recognize a login attempt when you have cleared your cookies or are logged in under private browsing mode.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Unacceptable. This is almost an issue or, at least, a design that should be improved. The member should have the right to use incognito/private mode in his browser (superior reasons may apply for that) and the member should have the right to turn off specific notifications from Upwork. He is the ultimate keeper of his security. Upwork should only warn the risk, letting him do what he pleases in this matter. That's only my opinion. Thanks for your answer.

Sergio C wrote:

Unacceptable. 

lol ok, well you gonna have to tell every other website on planet earth that uses this feature that you have spoken and it's unacceptable. Incognito mode does not keep history and cookies, so how do you think the browser remembers that you've already logged in with the same device?

Other website?
No... I like here.
I want to stay here.

Don't take me wrong.
I don't want to complain.
I'm just suggesting an improvement that someday may be applied.

Sergio C wrote:

Other website?
No... I like here.
I want to stay here.

Don't take me wrong.
I don't want to complain.
I'm just suggesting an improvement that someday may be applied.

The whole reason you get this message is because incognito mode does not store cache/cookies, so it won't able to store memory of your login. This is the way every website works because you stop the browser from saving that you've logged into the site before. The only way to stop it is to log in without incognito mode. 

It's not a matter of Upwork making an improvement. This is the disadvantage if you want to block cache/cookies. Upwork can't do anything about it.

Hi, Jennifer!
Thank you for trying to make this clear to me, I really appreciat it. I begin to think there's something here that I possibly don't understand. Let me warn you that my English may be not as good as you could guess. Sometimes I don't say what I really mean. Greetings from Venezuela. I have mangoes, guavas and tamarinds. 
---
It would work like this:
---
Sorry is I bothered you.

Sergio C wrote:

Hi, Jennifer!
---
It would work like this:
---
Sorry is I bothered you.

You're not bothering me. I'm trying to explain the best I can, and if I am not coming across well, it's kinda sad I call myself a writer. 😄  So this is my mistake, but let me try to explain more.

The point of what they are doing is to help with phished/hacked accounts. They would not allow people to turn it off, because this would increase risk. By adding this feature, if someone phishes your password, you would get notification that something is wrong. 

Incognito mode is great if you are logging into Upwork on a shared PC. You would definitely want to use this feature then. On a machine that only you use, it's not necessary.

Another example is Google's gmail web interface. If you open it in incognito mode with 2fa on, you will always have to enter a PIN regardless if you've done it before. And Gmail will sign you off after a certain amount of time, forcing you to reenter the PIN. But if you open Gmail in a regular browser mode, you will not have to log in again or enter the PIN again since the browser is able to store cache/cookies. 

I often have client email accounts in incognito mode so that nothing is saved and I can't be the source of their data breach should I suffer a breach. But for my personal account, I have it open in a regular browser where I never need to log in. I have 2fa on the account, so even if I get phished I should be ok. If someone attempts to log into my account, then I would get notification that an "unknown  device" logged in, so I would know that I need to act. This is what Upwork is doing.

Clear enough. Thank you Jennifer!
---
So you're a writer. That's wonderful.
Is there any public sample of your writings that I can see?

I would invite you to see mine,
but I only have writings in Spanish.
Most of them are short stories
about a boring guy called amaponian.

Greetings from a far-off land!

lysis10
Community Member

Sergio C wrote:

I always open my browser (or any browser) in a private session. It has protected me from long ago.

I'm not interested in the Upwork warning saying
"A recent sign-in to your Upwork account from an unknown device or browser"

In fact, it bothers me invading the notification section and hiding me the ones I'm interested in.

Is there a way of turning off those notifications, but keeping the others.

Thank you.

This happens on every site when you use incognito mode. You have to log in without incognito mode to get it to stop. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members