🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I give clients discounts?
Page options
b6744846
Community Member

Can I give clients discounts?

Hello, I just created my upwork account a few days ago and I don't have any past experience in the service I'm providing so I undestand that from a customer's point of view working with me might seem a bit risky. Because of that I was wondering if it's possible to give customers a discount on their first collaboration with me and then, once I have enough reviews to show proof that I'm actually good at what I do, get rid of it. Is there a way to have some kind of coupon code clients can use?

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

You don't need a discount code or coupon, Marta.

It can be a good idea as a new freelancer on Upwork to offer your services initially at a lower price than what you think they are actually worth, so you can start to build your reputation and track record here. If you've done the same work in the off-line world you have some idea what the going rate is.

But don't be too aggressive in your temporary lower pricing if work quality is also a consideration for the kinds of clients you want to work with. Smart clients know that ultra-low pricing is likely to be matched by ultra-low work quality.

Good luck!

varungs
Community Member

The beauty of the free market: you are allowed to sell your labour for whatever price you deem fit. 🙂

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Marta R wrote:

Hello, I just created my upwork account a few days ago and I don't have any past experience in the service I'm providing so I undestand that from a customer's point of view working with me might seem a bit risky. Because of that I was wondering if it's possible to give customers a discount on their first collaboration with me and then, once I have enough reviews to show proof that I'm actually good at what I do, get rid of it. Is there a way to have some kind of coupon code clients can use?

A lot of people seem to think that this is a good way to get started, but be aware that it can backfire on you. Some freelancers will agree to work for a lower rate and then end up being all resentful and bitter about it; they come back to the forum with complaints like, "Why is my client being so demanding and difficult, when they should be grateful that I agreed to work for next to nothing!"

Also, clients who choose freelancers based on discounted prices are often the worst people to work with, and they won't necessarily give you a good review. And if you do happen to find a good client who wants to give you repeat business, it'll be difficult if you want to start charging them more. So, just don't start out with too low a rate.

Another thing I see all the time: freelancers who use low rates just to get started on Upwork, then after they're established, they're back here with complaints about how other freelancers charge rates that are too low and Upwork should "do something" about it. Don't be one of THOSE people, either.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members