cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have two freelance profiles?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 30

All,

We appreciate feedback and will be sharing it with the team. It's a common suggestion we hear, however, building a system that will allow freelancers to have more than one freelancer profile on their account would mean restructuring a lot of other areas of the site such as sign up, search, list of applicants, work history, etc. There are no immediate plans to do it. Freelancers can still add up to 10 various skills to their profile and edit their profile whenever they want to.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 30

Petra stated earlier, "Nobody is being forced to choose one - you can offer two very different skill sets on one profile..."

Well, here's a new freelancer who seemingly IS being forced to choose:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Why-is-my-profile-not-being-accepted/m-p/364125#M20582

23 of 30

@John K wrote:

Petra stated earlier, "Nobody is being forced to choose one - you can offer two very different skill sets on one profile..."

Well, here's a new freelancer who seemingly IS being forced to choose:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Why-is-my-profile-not-being-accepted/m-p/364125#M20582

I think that's more a case of the old "our marketplace has not enough opportunities for the skills you bring to the table"

I have not seen many job postings for piano composers and ukulele players with not clearly defined "engineering skills"

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 30

John,

The freelancer in the case you are referring to isn't forced to pick one skill. Both Avery and Vladimir shared their suggestions to focus on one niche when starting out on Upwork based on their own experiences and numerous accounts by successful freelancers they've seen here in the Community.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 30

Valeria, I guess it's a matter of semantics then. The freelancer isn't *forced* to choose in the sense that anyone has required her to choose. On the other hand, when the direct answer from a moderator to her question of why her profile wasn't approved is that she should focus on one niche, she does seemed to be forced to choose *if* she wants her profile approved, even if the moderator doesn't say so in so many words.

26 of 30

It may make sense for a newbie freelancer to focus only on one job niche, in order to maximize:

a) her chances of getting hired for her first few jobs

and

b) her chances of getting her profile approved

But after a newbie freelancer has her profile approved, Upwork itself doesn't really care if she bifurcates her job niche focus... even if doing so diminishes her marketability and financial success.

Jeremy L Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
27 of 30
I am actually running into this dilemma at present.

Realizing I can make two legitimate professional offers to seeking clients but only one profile to do it on.

One suggestion mentioned editing the profile to add in the new skill, but building an upwork profile is like building a brand and company. To edit the profile in the middle of a successful business could destroy the model.

However, upwork could charge freelancers a monthly fee to have a second freelance account much like it charges for an agency=possible solution
Nick P Member Since: Aug 25, 2015
28 of 30

Hello Guys, 

I see that one of the freelancers have this possibility - it's called 

Specialized profiles

Curious how he did that? 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
29 of 30

re: "Curious how he did that?"

Upwork is actively working on this feature for freelancers. It has rolled that out in some niches, for some people.

It is completely legitimate, and answers a request made by many freelancers.

It is probably not something I would use personally, because I benefit from a sort of hyper-specialized profile and I'm not really interested in dividing my focus.

But I completely understand the interest that some freelancers have in this capability. And for those freelancers who want to maintain more than one emphasis, this will be a beneficial feature.

I fully expect the number of freelancers who are able to use this to continue to expand until all freelancers are able to use it. Even if means they make less money, that's okay, if it's something they want.

And for many freelancers, this could lead to HIGHER personal revenue. So that would be a win for Upwork's bottom line as well.

Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
30 of 30

Some history: Since 2011 when we were named o d e s k, Upwork has prevented multiple accounts per person. Connects and membership fees did not exist then. The reason, in my estimation, was accountability and transparency. Upwork had to prevent freelancers from burning clients willy nilly, violating other terms, then coming right back under a fresh identity.

The old tests also encouraged account multiplication. I would see totally fake accounts like Hdmkfajk Fsbhdak and Jdyfuiq Mdhakqa with no activity other than taking the Laravel test - possibly to generate and publish answer keys for Adsense fraud or black hat SEO backlinks - or possibly to end up with a great score and get paying project work. I guess now that the tests have been shut down, it's ok to show this sad screenshot:

laravel.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS