🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I include a link to my website on my prof...
Page options
kirnazdogan
Community Member

Can I include a link to my website on my profile? Will Upwork punish me for this?

I own a personal blog, and I think it can be effective for clients to see and read my articles. I would like to include a link to my website on my profile. Does this violate any rule? Or is there anyone doing this?

For example: "Owner of xxx.com"

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS to link your profile page to a website that can be used to contact you.

Freelancers found in violation of this rule typically have their accounts suspended until the matter is remedied.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS to link your profile page to a website that can be used to contact you.

Freelancers found in violation of this rule typically have their accounts suspended until the matter is remedied.

Okay. I also thought so, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your interest 🙂
d_korolkov
Community Member

Hi Dmytro,

Thank you for reaching out. In general, you can add links to your messages, profile, and portfolio. As long as there is no contact information to the link you're putting, it should be fine and it is not against ToS.

~ AJ
Upwork

Yes, but any portfolio website for designers like dribbble , behance,  lotifiles, and even more the personal website has a contact possibility anyway. Not in portfolio page itself, but any user can click "see profile" and find 'message me' or 'contact' subpage.

2079670b
Community Member

That's great. thank you

d_korolkov
Community Member

This is very doblesenced and tricky question:

1) https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork
A personal website with work highlights , A web-based profile on another site is allowed to share 

2) https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms-of-use
You can’t go around us. ..........you can’t add your contact details to a job post, your profile, communications or other content. But any personal website or a web-based profile opens a way for direct contact!!! 

There is no need in ''going around Upwork'' or cheat it's services, but how we can be sure in not to be banned for sharing portfolio on external web-based site?

af2bc364
Community Member

I have made a screen recording of my website and uploaded some of the artwork into my Upwork portfolio, but in the space for URL, am I allowed to place the link to my website?

Hi Cherie,

Thank you for reaching out. Please know that you can add links to your profile but they have to adhere to the guidelines. The link should not lead to a page where there's any personal contact information.

~ AJ
Upwork

I just got a reply from the upwork support chat that I can post links with contact info, I can even put them on my profile, and that I just have to remind the client not to contact me directly until the contract starts. seems to be an AI generated answer though so can you please confirm what's going on?

Cso

Hello Csongor,

Apologies for any confusion caused by our previous replies. Yes, you are allowed to share your external portfolios on your Upwork profile as well as your proposals to clients. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When they share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

This completely contradicts what Annei Jane B said. It's very confusing to have two moderators saying opposite things.

Grey area

Hello Arcenis,

I'd like to take a moment to correct the post above and clarify that you can't share external portfolios containing contact information in your Upwork Profile. You can still share them on your proposals and remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks for the clarification, Luiggi. That definitely clears it up.

bobafett999
Community Member

I have seen many people add a sentence that effectively says if you are visiting the site from any freelancing sites, please use their channels to contact me.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members