🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I offer 1 week Free trail to trusted clie...
Page options
ed4be0fe
Community Member

Can I offer 1 week Free trail to trusted clients?

Hello

I have spent so much money(boosted bid using connects) and time on sending proposals but haven't received any big projects yet. so to prove my ability to do their job nicely can I offer them a free trial of 1 week of my services? can I do this or this is against Upwork policy I just wanted to know that.

Thank you

Kathit

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

You are welcome to start a contract with a client for a low rate for 1 week, but I still wouldn't do it.

Your profile shows a Social Media Marketer and Graphic Designer with education, experience, a graphics design certification, a really good Portfolio, and good work history. There is no reason to devalue your skills and talent by offering free trials or low-rate, "let me show you what I can do," work.

I know it's difficult to win jobs on Upwork, but most of that has nothing to do with your qualifications. Over the past 6-months to 1-year, many freelancers have noticed a significant decrease in hiring and invitations, and much of that is related to Upwork's adjustments to their business  strategies, including their marketplace algorithms.

No one knows how long it will last, but keep applying for jobs and writing good cover letters--you will eventually win some.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
yofazza
Community Member

Unlike clients who are prohibited to ask for free work, there is no specific rule about freelancers offering one.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Freelancers-doing-work-for-free/m-p/598826

But doing it...

• Will get you nothing. You get no stars, no reviews.
  • There's a lot of shady clients who are only aiming for free samples, free work. They can get a lot of free social media marketing from 10 people like you. While you will get nothing by doing free work for them. 
  • Good clients, will most likely feel uncomfortable when you do this. They might also even look down on you.

So you shouldn't do it.

sofia2008
Community Member

1. This is a marketplace, not a charity. You can find local organisations should you want to offer your time.
  2. It won't add anything to your profile as you will not get feedback.
  3. You won't pay your share of fees to Upwork. 
celgins
Community Member

If the client is trusted, as you state in your post title, there is no reason to work for free.

As Radia pointed out, good clients come to the platform with the intent to buy, and will likely be uncomfortable with a free trial. An offer to provide free or trial work may be perceived by clients as a precursor to low quality work.

You may think a free trial shows eagerness and will showcase your talents,  but a quality client will not appreciate this.

ed4be0fe
Community Member

Thanks, Clark What do you think about the low fees for 1 week?
And yes I'll only offer to those client's whose hire rate is above 80%+ so there will be very low chance of scam

re: "What do you think about the low fees for 1 week?"

No.

That wastes your time and is essentially dishonest. It is a disservice to the client, who would get a distorted picture of your value.

celgins
Community Member

You are welcome to start a contract with a client for a low rate for 1 week, but I still wouldn't do it.

Your profile shows a Social Media Marketer and Graphic Designer with education, experience, a graphics design certification, a really good Portfolio, and good work history. There is no reason to devalue your skills and talent by offering free trials or low-rate, "let me show you what I can do," work.

I know it's difficult to win jobs on Upwork, but most of that has nothing to do with your qualifications. Over the past 6-months to 1-year, many freelancers have noticed a significant decrease in hiring and invitations, and much of that is related to Upwork's adjustments to their business  strategies, including their marketplace algorithms.

No one knows how long it will last, but keep applying for jobs and writing good cover letters--you will eventually win some.

sparkesusan
Community Member

As others have said, why would you? There is a value on your time, as with any other job. You wouldn't work for free somewhere else, would you? Clients who are serious about hiring you will not expect that and indeed, it could turn them off. Not to mention the scammers who will be "hiring" you because they don't have to pay you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members