🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I pass a job to a friend?
Page options
zzmaster
Community Member

Can I pass a job to a friend?

Hi, I'm a freelancer with the personal account (not an agency), I'm a software developer. 

Isn't it against the rules to take a job and pass it to a friend who isn't registered at Upwork? Actually I mean a translation job for my daugther.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Igor, 

I can confirm that subcontracting is allowed on Upwork for fixed-price contracts only. You as the freelancer is 100% responsible for the product you deliver to your client, and you have to comply with all the laws when you use independent contractors or employees to work on your fixed-price contracts.

If you intend to subcontract translation work, please make sure that you are able to provide the service, your client is aware that you are subcontracting these services, they agreed with you, and you comply with laws. 

For more information, kindly refer to Section 2.1 Relationship with Upwork, Sub-section vii of the Upwork User Agreement for your reference.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Igor N wrote:

Hi, I'm a freelancer with the personal account (not an agency), I'm a software developer. 

Isn't it against the rules to take a job and pass it to a friend who isn't registered at Upwork? Actually I mean a translation job for my daugther.

Why doesn't your daughter create her own account?

Is your daughter a translator?

Why would you take translation jobs when you are most certainly not a translator (and why would a client hire a web developer to do translation?

Why are you asking now when you have already done so? Does the client know that you outsourced their job?

zzmaster
Community Member

First of all - I did'nt do so. I took the translation from Spanish to Russian for myself.  And I going to take them more - why I shouldn't?

Do a person need to be a translator to proceed a translation job or knowledge is enough? Surely enough - so why are you asking this?

Why doesn't my daughter open an account? Propably you heard that it tooks months to get an account approved.

So I'd like to know - isn't against the rules?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Igor, 

I can confirm that subcontracting is allowed on Upwork for fixed-price contracts only. You as the freelancer is 100% responsible for the product you deliver to your client, and you have to comply with all the laws when you use independent contractors or employees to work on your fixed-price contracts.

If you intend to subcontract translation work, please make sure that you are able to provide the service, your client is aware that you are subcontracting these services, they agreed with you, and you comply with laws. 

For more information, kindly refer to Section 2.1 Relationship with Upwork, Sub-section vii of the Upwork User Agreement for your reference.

~ Avery
Upwork
sandeepkaur95
Community Member

Hi, 

The friend of my friend wants to hire me on upwork. My friend recomanded my name to him because he need my service. We don’t know about each other because he is third party person. Can he create upwork client account? and hire me.

Thanks

Sandeep Kaur

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths