🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I permanently delete my current account s...
Page options
nazanin-es
Community Member

Can I permanently delete my current account so I can create a new one?

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, my first experience on Upwork was very bad. My client abused me, scammed me, and left me a horrible review which I didn't deserve.

I wanted to know if it's possible and legal ( based on the Upwork policy ) if I permanently delete my current account and create a new one because in this situation I can't get any new project.
If it's not allowed, what should I do in this situation?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I permanently delete my current account so I can create a new one?"

It would be a serious violation of Upwork ToS if you did that.

re: "If it's not allowed, what should I do in this situation?"

You have two choices:

- stop using Upwork

[or]

- persevere, and overcome

Nazanin:

I understand if you feel disappointed in this turn of events. Right now, you are probably feeling frustrated. But if you want to continue working on Upwork, you CAN DO SO.

You can apply to jobs which are a very good fit for your skills. You can impress potential clients with your professionalism. You can get hired, despite this unfortunate first contract.

After you have been hired a few times, this initial contract with a less-than-favorable review will get pushed down on the page. Many clients won't even see it.

JoanneP

Hi Nazanin,

Freelancers are only allowed to have one account. If you need to update the information you have on your account, you have the option to edit them. If you are concerned about the negative review you received, you have the option to reply to the review to share your side of the story. You can also work on earning a Top Rated badge and request feedback removal. As Top Rated or Top Rated Plus talent, you have the benefit of more control over your Job Success Score. You can occasionally request to remove client feedback. You can learn more about it here

~ Joanne
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Nazanin E wrote:

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, my first experience on Upwork was very bad. My client abused me, scammed me, and left me a horrible review which I didn't deserve.

I wanted to know if it's possible and legal ( based on the Upwork policy ) if I permanently delete my current account and create a new one because in this situation I can't get any new project.
If it's not allowed, what should I do in this situation?

Thanks

You cannot remove the impact of a bad review from your long-term score (JSS) unless you become Top Rated, at which point there will be no need to remove the review. However, if you refunded all of the money received on this contract back to the client, the contract and the review would no longer show on  your profile. 

I have never refunded such a large amount and wouldn't want to.😬

But, it is an option. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

How were you scammed? It seems you earned a nice chunk of money on the contract.

Leaving that written reply has made things a whole lot worse for yourself.

You accuse him of being a scammer, yet he paid you 4.5k? That makes no sense. Few, if any people, are going to believe you. 

Jamie F wrote:

She left no reply.

This whole thing would have been avoided if she had just handed over the darned files.

Petra R wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

She left no reply.

You need to click on the job link to read it, for some reason. Although it's a bit odd that it doesn't directly show on her profile. Something else that Upwork are fiddling about with maybe? 
reply.png

That is not a reply. That is the feedback she left for the client.

Jamie F wrote:

You need to click on the job link to read it, for some reason. Although it's a bit odd that it doesn't directly show on her profile. Something else that Upwork are fiddling about with maybe? 

No, it's exactly the same as always. It even SAYS "Freelancer's feedback to the client" on your screenshot.

The feedback is what I meant. 

Either way - it's not a good look. 

Petra R wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

She left no reply.

This whole thing would have been avoided if she had just handed over the darned files.

So avoidable, it's a shame. Some people have no clue how to run their freelancing business. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths