🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I report a client who's asking a lot of f...
Page options
2f5ff562
Community Member

Can I report a client who's asking a lot of freelancers for free samples?

Hi lovely co-upworkers, So I'm talking to a client who's attitude is way off, I mean he is being rude, asking for a lot of free samples, and I found out in the conversation that he has done that with other freelancers, asking who can do the job first and then he said he'll give the contract, I am kind of desperate for cash lol so I (wrongly, I know) accepted to do some testings, but the guy's crossing the line there, and I think he's going against Upwork rules, any thought? leave him be? I mean the job I'm about to drop it as I don't feel comfortable with him, but I don't want to leave it just like that.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mateo, it is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

Use the "Three Dots" icon, or the Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right corner to report a client if he asks you to work for free.

But FIRST: Tell the client that, yes, you will do the task or create the test samples if he hires you using an hourly contract to do so.

If he hires you, then that is fine. If he doesn't hire you, then report him.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
catnapper
Community Member

Hello Mateo,

you can choose if you want to make the free samples or not, but you are right, the client should not ask for it. You can not report him, but you can politely say that you need to work, you have provided some samples already and you can not afford to do more for him. Stay cool and professional, and always value your time and work.

good luck!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Mateo, it is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

Use the "Three Dots" icon, or the Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right corner to report a client if he asks you to work for free.

But FIRST: Tell the client that, yes, you will do the task or create the test samples if he hires you using an hourly contract to do so.

If he hires you, then that is fine. If he doesn't hire you, then report him.

UPDATE: I told the client I was gonna drop the job because I felt uncomfortable doing work without a contract, then he hires me with the contract, so of course I accepted lol! (I need some urgent cash right now) turns out, he's a really nice guy... lesson learned: give the client a chance, once you pass the sometimes harsh negotiations, you could find a loyal client.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members