🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I send my email address to my client?
Page options
fawzypeter
Community Member

Can I send my email address to my client?

Hello Upwork Team.

How are you?

I am Peter from Canada and new freelancer on Upwork.

And now I have one question.

Today, I have had an interview with my first client on Upwork Message Channel.

And my client required my email address.

Can I give him my email address?

Does Upwork policy allow this?

Thanks for your time.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Peter,

Please know that clients and freelancers are not allowed to communicate outside the platform before a contract is placed. A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project before a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

*Contact information includes, but is not limited to: 

• Phone number, email address, physical address

• Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information

• Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Up work

• Any information that would enable contact through social media, another website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Peter,

Please know that clients and freelancers are not allowed to communicate outside the platform before a contract is placed. A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project before a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

*Contact information includes, but is not limited to: 

• Phone number, email address, physical address

• Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information

• Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Up work

• Any information that would enable contact through social media, another website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Upwork Team.
I didn't send my email address to my client because of I already read the
Upwork Policy.
I will never give him my contact information before he sends me an offer on
Upwork.
Thanks for your quick response.
Wonderful!
My feedback is 5 stars.
Thanks again.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for adhering to our TOS. Feel free to message here if you need any assistance.

- Pradeep H.

Upwork
a74141f5
Community Member

If this is the policy, then why are freelancers emailing me directly when I post a job? I've had a few do this recently.

cba84373
Community Member

Thank you so much!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members