🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I set up a Freelancer account using an Al...
Page options
stevemillervot
Community Member

Can I set up a Freelancer account using an Alias?

I’m currently employed full time but am considering doing some Freelancing in my spare time.  Has anyone tried to set up a profile and transact business using an alias?  The identification requirements needed to submit a project quote seem to require a photo ID matching your profile name which makes this seem rather impossible...   Rather my company doesn’t find out I am freelancing at the moment

Anyone?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I set up a Freelancer account using an alias?"

Steve:

There are actually two components to your question. Because the word "can" is potentially nebulous.

Question: "Am I allowed to set up a freelancer account using an alias?"

Answer: No. This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Question: "Is it physically possible to set up a freelancer account using an alias?"

Answer: Yes. This is possible. Many people have done so. Upwork aggressively works to find these freelancers and suspend or terminate their accounts. It is risky to use inaccurate information in setting up a freelancer account because you could potentially lose your account, and all the work that went into it, building up your work history, etc. You could even have your earnings frozen or tied up as part of punitive action.

There are many platforms which allow the use of avatars, aliases, or "alternative information" for your name, location, educational background, photo, etc. Upwork is not one of them.

re: "Rather my company doesn’t find out I am freelancing at the moment"

Many Upwork freelancers have a day job.

The truth of the matter is this:

- Most companies don't prohibit their employees from freelancing. Check your company's policies before worrying that this is prohibited. They might not care.

- Freelancing on Upwork is not like appearing in the the most-watched news story in the world. My Upwork profile is completely public. And completely accurate. Yet nobody I know in my non-Upwork work life or personal life actually knows that I work on Upwork. They just don't care. If you are like most people, then nobody is googling you except you.

Having said that, Upwork IS a public website. It IS MEANT TO PUBLICIZE your willingness to do freelancer work. People here are TRYING TO ATTRACT CLIENTS, and Upwork helps them do so. If you want to be anonymous, I strongly suggest you don't even bother with Upwork, because there are no privacy settings on any website that are guaranteed to prevent your association with the site from becoming public.

Never mind Upwork. Which is TRYING TO PUBLICIZE its freelancers' services. I can name a dozen websites off the top of my head that are extremely private and anonymous, which promised privacy... yet ended up having their users names and informaton publicized.

Upwork really has privacy settings, and many freelancers use them. So I am not talking about Upwork. I'm talking about OTHER websites you have heard about in the news.

Thank you for that complete and timely response and your thoughts on the matter in general Preston.  

Everyone’s situation is different regarding their “full time gig” and for me at least, having a public freelance presence just will not work.  Too bad as the research I completed led me to believe UpWork was a legitimate & promising platform.  I wish you good tidings and much success.  For me... my free account will soon be deleted.

Cheers

Steve

@Steve M wrote:

Thank you for that complete and timely response and your thoughts on the matter in general Preston.  

Everyone’s situation is different regarding their “full time gig” and for me at least, having a public freelance presence just will not work.  Too bad as the research I completed led me to believe UpWork was a legitimate & promising platform.  I wish you good tidings and much success.  For me... my free account will soon be deleted.

Cheers

Steve

I don't see why upwork is not a legitimate & promising platform because they insist you use your true picture and name. You would have found them more legitimate if they allowed you to lie?

Steve M wrote:  Too bad as the research I completed led me to believe UpWork was a legitimate & promising platform.

So because you insist on being untruthful the platform that would rather you were honest and legitimate is suddenly less so? Weird logic indeed.

There is, however, a very simple solution: Set your profile to private and that way only clients whose jobs you directly apply to can see your profile, name and picture.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths