🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I still remove a negative feedback?
Page options
sheryl_annd
Community Member

Can I still remove a negative feedback?

Hi, 

I used to be a TOP RATED FREELANCER until one of my client decided to end my contract abruptly and gave me a very low score. It was unprofessional because my task is only to respond to spanish and english customers but she asked me to respond to dutch customers through google translate and didnt gave me further instructions that led a misunderstanding between me and the customer. She removed me without further notice. I asked her if she can fix the rating she gave me but she said there is no way she can edit that. I wonder if I can still remove a negative feedback as I am no longer a top rated freelancer. 

9 REPLIES 9
sergio-soria
Community Member

Nope, only top-rated freelancers can remove a bad feedback.

There is a way for the client to edit that rating, but first you need to give permission. To do so you have to go to the My jobs tab, display all contracts, then look for the contract you are talking about, and in the sub-tab you will see "Client's Feedback to You", there you need to click where it reads "Enable client to change feedback". If the client doesn't want to do it that's a different story.

I believe there's a 2 week grace period after losing your TR status, during which you can still use the feedback removal perk.

lysis10
Community Member

If you lost it in the last run, then yes you can. You can google for the top rated perk to find the email to send the request.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Sheryl Ann,

If your client left you less-than-stellar feedback that was public it is likely her private feedback was at least as bad as, and probably even more negative than the feedback you can see. (Does anyone think they've had a client who left private feedback that was more positive than their public feedback? If so, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you at a very attractive price.)

We have been told by our JSS experts on this board that a client can never change private feedback they have left for a freelancer. If that's true,once feedback has been left by a client then there is no alternative to the Top-Rated perk to remove the feedback in its entirety from their JSS calculation.

Will L wrote:

Sheryl Ann,

If your client left you less-than-stellar feedback that was public it is likely her private feedback was at least as bad as, and probably even more negative than the feedback you can see. (Does anyone think they've had a client who left private feedback that was more positive than their public feedback? If so, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you at a very attractive price.)

We have been told by our JSS experts on this board that a client can never change private feedback they have left for a freelancer. If that's true,once feedback has been left by a client then there is no alternative to the Top-Rated perk to remove the feedback in its entirety from their JSS calculation.

I've been following this forum regularly for nearly three years, with particular attention to discussions about this kind of nuts-and-bolts issue. I cannot recall ever seeing a knowledgeable source make that assertion. There is a window of time during which a client can change their fb, if the FL grants permission for the change. There seems to be a bit of a rabbit run for them both to follow, to get it done. But it's do-able if addressed promptly.

If you insist that "JSS experts" have stated otherwise, then I wish you'd direct inquiring minds to the relevant thread(s) and comments.

Well, Phyllis, it looks like you haven't been paying close attention. Or maybe there has been some sort of misunderstanding?

On this thread ...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/to-change-feedback/m-p/240614?advanced=false&collapse_di...

Petra, whom you may consider a "JSS expert," clearly stated...

"Please also remember that your JSS will be affected (for better or for worse) by the private feedback the client originally left. This can not be changed."

If you think she was wrong to say private feedback cannot be changed, I suggest you take it up with her for any clarification you need.

Phyllis, my understanding has always been that a freelancer can enable a client to change PUBLIC feedback, but private feedback can't be changed.

I'm not sure what Will is getting at, though, as that's totally irrelevant to using the perk for removal, which eliminates any impact on JSS (if you choose)

Phyllis,

Did I answer your question?

Will L wrote:

Phyllis,

Did I answer your question?

Well, Will, you managed to find a thread that pre-dates my participation on UW. (I joined the platform in late August '16, obtained my first contract in September, and began reading nad participating in the community forum sometime that fall.)

And I happily stand corrected re. the distinction that a client can change public fb but not private fb. Honestly, I'm not sure why it matters in the context of this thread, though, because OP inquired about using her TR removal perk which removes fb, as opposed to changing it. OTOH, you did find a way to get in a dig at Petra, which seems to be a priority for you these days.

BTW, I do consider Petra to be a JSS expert. She has deeper and more nuanced knowledge about how it works than anyone else I've seen posting here. And she is generous with her time in helping others understand how to manage it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths