🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can I upload my perl/python scripts (.pl ...
Page options
tthaliath
Community Member

Can I upload my perl/python scripts (.pl or .py extension) as project files in my portfolio

Hi, I am new to upwork and would like to submit proposals that match may skills and expertise. I am basically a backend script writer. Can I upload my Perl/python scripts as project files while submitting a propsal? Can I adsd them  in my portfolio too?

5 REPLIES 5
shefen
Community Member

I'm a backend programmer too (PHP). I don't know of any restrictions to uploading scripts but I don't usually include sample code with a proposal unless they specifically ask for it. Generally we get to code samples in the interview. I take on maintenance work so often I'm the one asking to see their code because ... well PHP is easily mangled and I want to know what I'm getting into.

I have a github account and a website where I refer people to for examples of my code.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

It would be totally fine to include examples of your work in your proposals, cover letters or interview stage, but please do review these tips and resources in order to work safely and in line with Upwork ToS, and make sure that all the payments are made on Upwork between you and the client you meet on Upwork! 

You can, also, use your portfolio or overview to highlight the expertise you have provided there is no contact information in it. You can find more tips, instructions, and related policies in this Help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
tthaliath
Community Member

Thanks. 

My problem is, the type of apps I develop, it is always a bunch of small/medium size scripts. For example, my github folder **edited for Community Guidelines** hosts 200+ scripts related to fintech and search apps. It is not feasible to send these 200 script files while submitting a proposal. I colud add the github klink in my cover letter though. Please advise.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas, 

This should be fine. Please make sure to not make this link accessible on your profile page, or on any section of your Upwork profile. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thomas: when you apply to my job, I don't want to see hundreds of scripts attached to your proposal. I don't want to see ANY attachments.

If don't specifically ask for an attachment, that should be a clue.

Put your stuff in your portfolio.

I am very anti-attachment when it comes to proposals. I don't think all clients feel the same way, but nobody is going to look at hundreds of scripts that have nothing to do with their project.

Clearly providing the github link is preferred.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members