🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can I use VPN?
Page options
alamin08
Community Member

Can I use VPN?

Hello, 

I want to make sure that I want to use a VPN while working with the Upwork tracker. Because of some of the websites I can not access, it not allowed with my IP.  I do not want to log in with a VPN for Upwork. I just want to log my hours, with the Upwork tracker for billing from my client. Is there any T&S violation? And safe for the Upwork account.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Md,

You may use a VPN to connect to the Upwork site. However, be advised that if there are inconsistencies with your IP location your account may be flagged to prevent unauthorized access to your account. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Md,

You may use a VPN to connect to the Upwork site. However, be advised that if there are inconsistencies with your IP location your account may be flagged to prevent unauthorized access to your account. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for your reply. 

I don't want to use VPN to log in to the Upwork. I will work with some websites (without Upwork) only and at that time my Upwork time tracker will use for tracking my working time. This is safe? I'm worried. Please let me know. 

Thanks again

Hi Md,

Please refer to the information I`ve shared in my previous post. 
You will not have any problems using our Desktop app as well while you`re logged in to a VPN. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you, Goran.

Hi, Goran!

Could you please explain me this in a bit more detail - you mention "incosistencies with your IP location" that can caused the account flagged.

I am in Ukraine, but in the area temporarily captured by russian troops. My internet is captured by russian providers too. This is why i prefer to use a VPN when log in in Upwork. A VPN may provide me a free IP location in Japan, Netherlands, or in the USA. Does it mean that these my IP locations are not consistent and therefore my account can be blocked?

Hi Vladyslav,

Using a VPN is not a violation of Upwork's TOS. However, be advised that if there are inconsistencies with your IP address, your account may be flagged to prevent unauthorized access to your account. What Goran's trying to explain here is if the system detects something unusual, Upwork may contact you to clarify, just to make sure it's you using the account and that your account isn't compromised.

~ Arjay
Upwork
vomgisup
Community Member

Hi, Arjay!

Thank you, now it gets clearer.

Can i be sure that Upwork will first contact me anyway if anything looks wrong with my IP adress prior to flagging my account? Or may my account be flagged without contacting me?

Best regards

/Vlad

tomzilla1
Community Member

I've used VPNs when I was abroad visiting family. Never had an issue from Upwork nor from any of my clients. I use VPN at home sometimes, or when I'm at a coffee shop where the WiFi can be unsecure. Never had an issue from Upwork.

Thank you, Tom, for positive information. But who knows, probably, you are lucky) However, i will continue to try to be sure

5010fa1b
Community Member

I have the same question. Can you please guide me if you have any problems or not. I am also using VPN for my clients Website not using for login to Upwork. But I received emails related to US tax etc. I thought it could be because of VPN? Can any one please guide me?

Hi Komal,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths