🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I use a nickname instead of my real name?
Page options
ahmedmkamal
Community Member

Can I use a nickname instead of my real name?

I wanna know if it's possible to update the name shown in my profile to a nickname (still a person name) instead of my real name?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I haven't seen Upwork making exceptions for "nicknames," except in very rare circumstances or recognized name variations.

For example, you can easily get approval to be identified as "Matt" if your name is actually "Matthew."

But if your name is "Ahmed" and you want to be identified as "CyberGuy" or "Jeremy"... Then the answer is going to be "no."

You could legally change your name. Upwork doesn't care if you do that.

Or, if you have government-issued identification that is issued using your nickname, and you have your nickname set up as an account holder name on your payment withdrawal method, then that would work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I use a nickname instead of my real name?"

Probably not.

Upwork wants to see a real name, which:

- can be verified as matching your government-issued ID (such as passport or driver's license)

- matches your name on your bank account or payment withdrawal method

Preston, even if upwork has verified my identity and my real name already?

I haven't seen Upwork making exceptions for "nicknames," except in very rare circumstances or recognized name variations.

For example, you can easily get approval to be identified as "Matt" if your name is actually "Matthew."

But if your name is "Ahmed" and you want to be identified as "CyberGuy" or "Jeremy"... Then the answer is going to be "no."

You could legally change your name. Upwork doesn't care if you do that.

Or, if you have government-issued identification that is issued using your nickname, and you have your nickname set up as an account holder name on your payment withdrawal method, then that would work.

Your answer is clear and obvious. I just have a question on this issue.

I have a very long legal name: MAHIUDDIN which is very difficult for people from other countries to remember and pronounce. So I have decided to use Mike but then I faced problem while transferring money as my legal name is in the bank and upwork won't approve the transfer. So I changed my upwork name from Mike to my MAHIUDDIN but now my clients are having problems as they are used to Mike. What's the solution. Can I use my upwork name as MAHIUDDIN (MIKE) , so upwork can do the transfer and my clients also wouldn't have a problem. Thanks and regards, Mike

Hi Mahiuddin,

You can go ahead and update your profile name with your name variation or nickname. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will reach out to you directly and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Ahmed,

You can go ahead and update your profile name with your name variation or nickname. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will reach out to you directly and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
40001cdf
Community Member

My account has been approved with name "Holy Ghost" which was created using my google account. Now i am  unable to change it to my real name. What should i do?

Holy G wrote:

My account has been approved with name "Holy Ghost" which was created using my google account. Now i am  unable to change it to my real name. What should i do?

You need to talk to customer support to get assistance, or alternatively legally change your name to that and become a rapper. 

Hi there,

You should be able to submit a name change request by going to Settings > Contact Info > and updating your name. If you`re experiencing any problems with this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran,

I have found out that I was not able to access name change page previously because I had not set my secret question. Now I am able to submit a name change request. Hope it helps someone.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths