🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can Upwork Plus Clients be fake?
Page options
Community Member

Can Upwork Plus Clients be fake?

I am a newbie on Upwork. However, I received an Invitation to a job (which I declined because it did not match my skill set) and to my horror I noticed that the Client:

1) is UPWORK Plus Client with Payment method verified

2) Posted 1089 jobs with 84% hire rate and 66 open jobs

3) $9M+ total spent

4) 16,052 hires, 1140 active

5) Member since Nov 2, 2014

This is the activity status of the job:

• Interviewing: 637
  • Invites sent: 2,900
  • Unanswered invites: 1,863

The status of all other posted jobs by this client is kind of similar.

I believe this is a serious scam going on. Should I flag the job as inappropriate?

12 REPLIES 12
yofazza
Community Member

Can Upwork Plus Clients be fake?

YES!

You can browse a few pages back and you'll see many discussions about this.

Really? Doesn't it seem like that means they have to be legit?

okele
Community Member

I don't think that client is a scammer. More likely an agency. Yes they do exist here. It's not uncommon for agencies to post here as they get work from whatever their sources are. And just an FYI you might as well remove the link as it is a private job and only invitees can see it. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I believe this is a serious scam going on. Should I flag the job as inappropriate?"

Why do you think this client is a scammer?

A scammer can't fake those numbers.

This client hires and pays a lot of people.

That doesn't mean YOU should be interested in working for them. But I don't see why you would report them.

84% hire rate?
That's a very high rate.

Community Member

Thank you for your valuable advice and guiding me.

yofazza
Community Member

Yes why do you report them  / what was the job?

And wasn't there a link to the job, before removed by moderator? I think I clicked the link and see it no longer exists.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

As a new new member, read this because there are tons of scam posts here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

But to answer your question, yes, Upwork Plus clients can be fake. That means absolutely nothing when evaluating whether they are scammers or not, and can actually make some freelancers think they are legitimate, otherwise Upwork would not have allowed them to have that designation without vetting them and their post.

petra_r
Community Member

Koyel M wrote:

I believe this is a serious scam going on

What in the world makes you think that? A scammer who has paid freelancers over 9 Million Dollars?

joostdoevelaar
Community Member

You admit you are a newbie, but I am genuinely curious as to what made you look at these numbers in 'horror'  as you described. These people have spent 9 million bucks on Upwork and you are worried about them not having established themselves?

Also ..."I believe this is a serious scam going on..." What? Why??

roberty1y
Community Member

1) is UPWORK Plus Client with Payment method verified

2) Posted 1089 jobs with 84% hire rate and 66 open jobs

3) $9M+ total spent

4) 16,052 hires, 1140 active

5) Member since Nov 2, 2014

If ever I saw a list of counter-indications of scamming, this is it. 

chillynguyen
Community Member

Hi Koyel,

First of all, welcome to the platform.

I understand why you felt shocked about the client. Me myself also felt the same when receiving the first job invitation that has those traits (thousands of invitations for one single job). However, although they may be either a good or bad client, I don't think that this particular client is a scammer.

About your question, "Can Upwork Plus Clients be fake?", yes, they can.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Upwork Plus means that the client is paying Upwork extra money for certain benefits.  It does not imply anything about the veracity or worthiness of the client.  That being said, I would jump on any client with those stats.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths