greynolds

Can a Contractor Suspend a Project

I have a client that seems to be very busy or has some personal issues they need to deal with. They have postponed the next milestone payment a few times but stated they do not want me to end the contract. I want to give them a chance to honor our agreement but would like to suspend the contract until they make meet their financial obligation. This will also send a message that I am serious about just ending the project if the milestone payment is not made on the date last agreed. All help is appreciated in advance. Regards, Gordon
2 REPLIES 2
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am sorry you are having some issues with your client, Gordon. Could you please clarify what you mean by "suspending the contract"? If you mean pause it, then only clients are able to pause a contract. As for ending this fixed price contract on your own, then, please, be aware of the article 3.4 of the User Agreement, which states: [quote=3.4 Termination of a Service Contract..] For Fixed-Price Contracts, the Client may terminate at any time but may not recover any payments already made. The Freelancer may terminate a Fixed-Price Contract at any time if no payment has been made. If a payment has been made on a Fixed Price Contract, the Freelancer may terminate only with the Client's consent or after the payment has been refunded. [/quote] Basically, you will need to discuss it with the client before ending the contract on your own. I really hope your situation will get resolved soon and amicably. Let us know if you have any further questions.
~ Valeria
Upwork

"The Freelancer may terminate a Fixed-Price Contract at any time if no payment has been made. If a payment has been made on a Fixed Price Contract, the Freelancer may terminate only with the Client's consent or after the payment has been refunded." As a freelancer I've closed several contracts recently, and at least one or two have been fixed price (in fact, the most up to date one on my profile, as of today, is one). These are old "morbid" contracts left open to fester. I would have contacted the client at least twice and then given them notice that I would be closing. then after a couple of weeks, closed the contract. No feedback from the client, and it looks as if they've just left the platform, either permanently or temporarily. Anyway, the point is, money had been paid, and I did close the contracts, no problem.