🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can a client ask for refund after a contr...
Page options
hobilla
Community Member

Can a client ask for refund after a contract has been ended?

Previous client, one i worked with and Upwork contract is closed, asked for a refund of manual time that i logged.
Client's contract with me has ended before.

I worked/messaged outside Upwork in their system. So i billed and that got approved from Upwork and i received payment. Wasn't a problem.

Now, contract ended some time ago and suddenly client wants refund of some hours.

What can be done here?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yasir:
It is possible for a client to ASK for a refund after a contract has been closed.

But it is very unprofessional and inappropriate to do so.

Most of the time, when a client does something like this, it is because the client does not really view you as a person. The client thinks that you are beneath him or that you don't matter. He sees a button "Request Refund", and he thinks "Hmm... Maybe if I push this, I'll get money back."

This is obviously NOT sound moral reasoning, and such behavior should not be respected.

BUT: We should ALWAYS treat clients (and everybody else on Upwork) with respect and professionalism.

If this is an hourly contract that "ended some time ago", then basically the client has absolutely no way to do anything to you. The client can't force you to refund. The client can't change his feedback on the contract. The client can't harm you JSS.

A client really needs to file a dispute about hourly work within five days after the work week has ended. You can read more about that here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-a-Freelancer-s-Hours

After that, a client is simply making a "request" that you give him money. And you can decline that request.

However, it is technically possible for a client who really wants to put in some effort to cause trouble for you.... A client could contact Upwork technical support and request further mediation. A client could even file a chargeback, which would probably lead to the client being kicked off of Upwork. But it could mean that money is clawed back that you previously were paid from this client.

So there are good, tactical reasons for you to be polite and professional, in addition to the fact that it's the right thing to do and it makes the platform better for all of us.

One thing I suggest is engaging the client in polite, professional conversation. Ask the client why he wants money back. The client may be too embarrassed to even answer, and may simply let the matter go. Or maybe the client will tell you his reasons, and you can respond. Take your time. Respond thoughtfully. Sometimes tell the client: "I appreciate your question about this. Let me look over my notes and get back to you tomorrow with a response."

The more time that passes after a contract was closed, the less possible it will be for the client to do anything at all to cause you any trouble or cause you to lose any money.

Preston,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Well, this whole contract was manual time and i worked with them for 4-5 months and it wasn't a problem back then. But after abruptly sending me an email that i won't be working for them anymore (we worked and talked outside Upwork in their own platform), all work was closed. 

I told them to end the contract and leave a feedback. But they said that they will keep the contract open if they need more work done later.

Suddenly after a year, they gave me some work and told me to log in manual time like before (as that same contract was open). I worked and logged in manual time like before.

Hours processed and i got payed. Normal thing.

After a week, they decided to finally end the contract. Okay, they did.

Now again after 2 weeks, they want the "new hours billed 1 yr later work" refunded.

What should i do?

They are claiming i didn't work and not responding to my messages even. Just, filed a refund request at Upwork.

What can be done?

Yasir S wrote:

Preston,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Well, this whole contract was manual time and i worked with them for 4-5 months and it wasn't a problem back then. But after abruptly sending me an email that i won't be working for them anymore (we worked and talked outside Upwork in their own platform), all work was closed. 

I told them to end the contract and leave a feedback. But they said that they will keep the contract open if they need more work done later.

Suddenly after a year, they gave me some work and told me to log in manual time like before (as that same contract was open). I worked and logged in manual time like before.

Hours processed and i got payed. Normal thing.

After a week, they decided to finally end the contract. Okay, they did.

Now again after 2 weeks, they want the "new hours billed 1 yr later work" refunded.

What should i do?

They are claiming i didn't work and not responding to my messages even. Just, filed a refund request at Upwork.

What can be done?

Yasir, 

I don't think they can do anything. You did the work, you were  paid, and the contract is closed. If this were me, I wouldn't do anything and I would refuse the client's request.In fact, I would block the client and refuse to interact with him.

From what I understand in the help pages, if you work hourly manual time, neither client nor freelancer is protected at the time of working. Since you have been paid and the contract is closed, I don't think the client will have any recourse. 

I have flagged your post so that a mod can explain more fully. 

@ Preston, 

Can a chargeback be filed at any time? Is there no limit? 

re: "Can a chargeback be filed at any time? Is there no limit?"

Typically limit is 120 days.

@Preston

Update

The client filed a dispute and its running. I got email from Upwork mediators stating that i need to respond to the mail within 2 business day.

If i don't, my account will be in financial hold.

Previous messages (emails) tells me that client said i did no work.

Then next msg from upwork mediation center said i need to provide work i did and all sorts of proof.

But, the work i did was in their system and they retain all the rights. Custom authoring tool in which i have no access now. How do i prove that i did work?

And how can client dispute hours 2 weeks after closed the contract?

P.S. when i click on the dispute link from my email, it redirects me to "Upwork Dispute Center" where it shows nothing. No "open" or "closed" dispute cases.

The request that i got is basically "Refund Request".

That page entails:

Contract Name

Invoice

Refund Amount

Current Balance

Your Balance will be debited

Note to Client 

Note to Self

My question is, if i ignore that page request (refund request) and simply let it be, will my Upwork account be charged? And since it's manual hours, if the client files a dispute, will i have to give the money back?

This is so frustrating. That's why I don't like working and messaging outside Upwork, eventhough it is needed for big companies...Sigh!!

Is there nothing to say "refuse request"? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members