🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can a client hire multiple designers? (Ge...
Page options
designbycg
Community Member

Can a client hire multiple designers? (Getting hired doesn't guarantee the job is yours?)

I'm new to UpWork, so I'm not 100% sure how this site fully works still. I finally got my first job (Yay!) designing a logo and was really excited about it until I saw the client hired 2 designers. 

What does this mean? I have a contract with the client now to finish the logo, is there a chance he goes with the other designer and doesnt pay me? Or would I still get paid because I am under contract? If this is the case, is there a way set up proposals to protect me from this? 

Does this happen often, or did I get unlucky? 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can a client hire multiple designers?"

Yes, of course.

In fact, a better question is this:

If you have a serious, important project... Why would you hire only one artist when you can hire multiple artists, and have your pick from among the best work provided by all of them?

re: "...and was really excited about it until I saw the client hired 2 designers."

YOU were hired. Why would it bother you that other designers were hired, as well?

re: "What does this mean? I have a contract with the client now to finish the logo, is there a chance he goes with the other designer and doesnt pay me?"

If a client hires you, he needs to pay you for your work. It doesn't matter how many people the client hires.

re: "Or would I still get paid because I am under contract?"

You will still get paid.

re: "If this is the case, is there a way set up proposals to protect me from this?"

There is nothing that you need to be protected from.

re: "Does this happen often?"

I hope so.

For design and artistic work, I often hire multiple freelancers. That gives me more choices to work with as a client.

For example, here is a project where I hired 9 Upwork artists to do the exact same job:

http://www.tempeservicecorps.org/?p=gallery

For the number of freelancers I needed, I said I only needed 1 person. If I recall correctly, I didn't tell them that I was hiring multiple people. Why would it matter? They were all paid for their work.

For this project, I hired 6 different web designers, and then I combined their work, choosing what I liked best from all their submissions:

https://www.database-design.org

For another project I hired between 6 to 10 different artists, to create custom avatars. All were hired using the same job posting, and all were given the same instructions.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 4.07.05 PM.png

For many projects on Upwork, it can make sense to hire ONLY ONE freelancer.

But for many projects, I believe hiring only a single freelancer is a serious mistake, or at least a missed opportunity.

65dab6ce
Community Member

Congrats on getting your first job, Christian!

Yes, it's normal for cients to hire more than one freelancer. It really desn't matter, you get paid for your work.

I'd suggest you get familiar with how upwork works by reading the help and support pages. The community forum is aso a treasure trove of insight and information on how to work with cients, things that could go wrong and how the nuts and bolts of the sysem works.

All the best!

tlsanders
Community Member

Just one qualification, Christian. You will get paid for your work IF:

The client has a verified payment method, you have an Upwork contract, and the funds for the project are in escrow, or

The client has a verified payment method, the project is hourly, and you use the time tracker and create good memos

Otherwise, the client can avoid paying you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths