🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can a client leave a bad review if they don't...
Page options
blythe-dixon
Community Member

Can a client leave a bad review if they don't show up for a consultation?

Today I had a client not show up to a paid consultation. UpWork policies state that I still get paid for this time, but can the client still leave a bad review if they are upset about the policy/having to pay?

They didn't respond to any messages until after the meeting time ended. Ultimately this is not someone that I want to work with again since they don't value my time. I would prefer to just move on without rescheduling even if they were to pay for another meeting because they won't be a good fit- but I don't want to get a bad review.

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

A client only owes you money if there is an Upwork contract in place between you and the client.

Once a contract is in place, the client has the permanent ability to leave public and private feedback for you, regardless whether the client made any payment to you under the contract. Only Top Rated freelancers can have all of a client's public and private feedback removed from public view and from the calculation of the freelancer's Job Success Score.

Paid consultation - is a contract. Client must pay.

Client cannot leave public feedback for 0 contract, only private.

Blythe, yes, client able to leave feedback.

And yes, you spent your time, this should be paid. 

virtualbrix
Community Member

At times, you may want to just try to connect with the client before you do something. They may have a good reason, I understand that they took advantage of your time but I have clients cancel at times, not show up, etc. I never take it personal and just reach out to reschedule. The potential bad review is just not worth it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members