🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can a client leave private feedback if th...
Page options
joansands
Community Member

Can a client leave private feedback if they don't leave public feedback?

If a client pays for a job but does not leave public feedback, can they just leave private feedback?

17 REPLIES 17
lysis10
Community Member

They can't close a contract without leaving feedback, so there is no way to avoid feedback other than you closing the contract and they just disappear and don't come back for at least 2 weeks.

The reason I asked is that I had two clients early on who paid for work I did but then just disappeared and did not respond to any messages. Finally, I closed out both contracts and have wondered whether that affected my JSS.

All contracts affect your JSS, but when you close them they can only leave feedback for 2 weeks. So they would have to come back, but they rarely do.

Thanks.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

For a fixed price project,

If a client

- Triggers the end of a contract

- Before he ever paid you any money on that contract

but you manage to iron out the misunderstanding with the client and he pays you through the bonus feature

- then you approve the milestone cancellation request.

In this instance, the client will only ever be able to leave private feedback on that contract.

On the current system, as is.

Pretty weird scenario, but can happen.

Abinadab A wrote:

For a fixed price project,

If a client

- Triggers the end of a contract

- Before he ever paid you any money on that contract

but you manage to iron out the misunderstanding with the client and he pays you through the bonus feature

- then you approve the milestone cancellation request.

In this instance, the client will only ever be able to leave private feedback on that contract.

On the current system, as is.

Pretty weird scenario, but can happen.

From what I gather from the OP, she got paid the client just disappeared.

And I would recommend letting the mediator handle the money once it has gone into mediation. I would avoid the bonus situation only because if the client files a chargeback, I think bonuses would probably be less likely covered in the event Upwork fights it or just pays you out.

I don't know how this got so complicated.

I had two clients - one was fixed rate and the other was hourly. Both paid me but they did not leave feedback. I was wondering if they could leave private feedback if they didn't leave public feedback.

Joan S wrote:

I don't know how this got so complicated.

Lol Joan, it's not complicated. For your specific situation and question, Jennifer's answer is correct.

Mine was more of a general response to the title.Smiley Tongue

Sorry, but such complicated things have happened before.

Jennifer M wrote:

I would avoid the bonus situation only because if the client files a chargeback, I think bonuses would probably be less likely covered in the event Upwork fights it or just pays you out.

Thanks for the top tip, Jenny!

I am still trying to find out if a client can leave private feedback if they don't leave public feedback.

Joan S wrote:

I am still trying to find out if a client can leave private feedback if they don't leave public feedback.

Really? You'll go to the moon and back and you'll still get what Jennifer answered you.

But, for avoidance of doubt, your problem is not whether clients can leave private feedback without leaving public feedback.

It is, why the heck did my JSS drop by 8%? (the good old boring JSS question).

Your JSS dropped because

- a significant (about 10%) of your jobs ended without feedback from the client, and/or

- contracts with not exactly magnificent private feedback fell into the friggin' window or the good ones fell out.

No one has answered my question but I give up. And my JSS went up this week. It was an academic question.

Joan S wrote:

No one has answered my question but I give up.

When submitting feedback on a contract in which money has been paid, private feedback and public feedback are entered on the same form

A client cannot submit one without submitting the other (the form will flag it as incomplete).

The "Submit" feedback button won't turn green until the client has filled in all fields (public & private).

The Upwork system does NOT randomly prompt clients to give only private feedback when they release milestones to you.

Well, THANK YOU - that is the information I was looking for but could not find anywhere.

Joan, Jennifer gave you the general answer to the question. Another poster whose name I am not going to attempt to spell from memory in hopes that admitting that I don't recall the correct spelling is less offensive than guessing wrong explained a unique situation in which the answer is different, but ratified the general answer. What more were you looking for?

Joan S wrote:

They have to leave both if they close the contract. But since you closed it, they can only leave it within 2 weeks.

Joan S wrote:

I had two clients - one was fixed rate and the other was hourly. Both paid me but they did not leave feedback. I was wondering if they could leave private feedback if they didn't leave public feedback.

No, they can't.

Abinadab A wrote:

Your JSS dropped because

- a significant (about 10%) of your jobs ended without feedback from the client, and/or

Absolute nonsense. 10% "no feedback" contracts has NO effect at all.

There are people with 40% or more and 100% JSS

Petra - I always love your short and direct answers!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths