cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a client leave private feedback if they don't leave public feedback?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
1 of 18

If a client pays for a job but does not leave public feedback, can they just leave private feedback?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 18

They can't close a contract without leaving feedback, so there is no way to avoid feedback other than you closing the contract and they just disappear and don't come back for at least 2 weeks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 18

The reason I asked is that I had two clients early on who paid for work I did but then just disappeared and did not respond to any messages. Finally, I closed out both contracts and have wondered whether that affected my JSS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 18

All contracts affect your JSS, but when you close them they can only leave feedback for 2 weeks. So they would have to come back, but they rarely do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 18

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
6 of 18

For a fixed price project,

If a client

- Triggers the end of a contract

- Before he ever paid you any money on that contract

but you manage to iron out the misunderstanding with the client and he pays you through the bonus feature

- then you approve the milestone cancellation request.

In this instance, the client will only ever be able to leave private feedback on that contract.

On the current system, as is.

Pretty weird scenario, but can happen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 18

Abinadab A wrote:

For a fixed price project,

If a client

- Triggers the end of a contract

- Before he ever paid you any money on that contract

but you manage to iron out the misunderstanding with the client and he pays you through the bonus feature

- then you approve the milestone cancellation request.

In this instance, the client will only ever be able to leave private feedback on that contract.

On the current system, as is.

Pretty weird scenario, but can happen.

From what I gather from the OP, she got paid the client just disappeared.

And I would recommend letting the mediator handle the money once it has gone into mediation. I would avoid the bonus situation only because if the client files a chargeback, I think bonuses would probably be less likely covered in the event Upwork fights it or just pays you out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 18

I don't know how this got so complicated.

I had two clients - one was fixed rate and the other was hourly. Both paid me but they did not leave feedback. I was wondering if they could leave private feedback if they didn't leave public feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
9 of 18

Joan S wrote:

I don't know how this got so complicated.

Lol Joan, it's not complicated. For your specific situation and question, Jennifer's answer is correct.

Mine was more of a general response to the title.Smiley Tongue

Sorry, but such complicated things have happened before.

Jennifer M wrote:

I would avoid the bonus situation only because if the client files a chargeback, I think bonuses would probably be less likely covered in the event Upwork fights it or just pays you out.

Thanks for the top tip, Jenny!

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 18

I am still trying to find out if a client can leave private feedback if they don't leave public feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS