🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can a client open a second milestone for cont...
Page options
Community Member

Can a client open a second milestone for contract work while the first one is not closed?

Can a client open a second milestone for contract work while the first one is not closed? That is, I did the work, he requested edits and now just needs time for other people to respond to me, can he open the next milestone for me while we wait for a response for me to work on?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

For separate job you can ask client to open separate contract.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

a) I don't think that it physically possible for a client to fund a second milestone before the first has milestone has been resolved by releasing payment. (I could be wrong. I've certainly never tried to do something like that.)

b) It should NOT MATTER to you whether or not this is possible. Because as a freelancer, you should NOT be working on a second milestone until the payment for the first milestone has been released.

c) A client should NOT be trying to get a freelancer to work on a second milestone until the client released payment for the first milestone. Clients are BUSY. I get that. I client DOES NOT NEED TO REVIEW the milestone work before releasing payment. If a client wants a freelancer to continue work on the project, the client NEEDS TO RELEASE PAYMENT. Otherwise, there is no reason for a freelancer to trust this client.

I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. Quality freelancers are a valuable resource. One thing I never want to do is give a valued freelancer a reason to not trust me.

So OF COURSE I would release payment immediately to a freelancer if I want the freelancer to continue working. Even if I have not had time to review.

spectralua
Community Member

For separate job you can ask client to open separate contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths