🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can a client reopen a dispute after you’ve wo...
Page options
cirbus_katlyn
Community Member

Can a client reopen a dispute after you’ve won?

I had to go into a dispute because a client wouldn’t pay me for the work they already received. They cancelled the contract without paying for unwatermarked work. They then asked for a refund of the money in escrow. I won the dispute because the client never responded to the dispute. She had 10 days. I got an email today saying that since my client did not answer UpWork was ending the dispute and releasing the $$$ in escrow to me. I got confirmation of the release of funds. All of a sudden once the funds are released, client is coming up with an excuse as to why they haven’t answered for 10 days and demanding a refund. Obviously, I have already won fairly. Can they reopen a dispute after you already won? 

6 REPLIES 6
colettelewis
Community Member

Katlyn C wrote:

I had to go into a dispute because a client wouldn’t pay me for the work they already received. They cancelled the contract without paying for unwatermarked work. They then asked for a refund of the money in escrow. I won the dispute because the client never responded to the dispute. She had 10 days. I got an email today saying that since my client did not answer UpWork was ending the dispute and releasing the $$$ in escrow to me. I got confirmation of the release of funds. All of a sudden once the funds are released, client is coming up with an excuse as to why they haven’t answered for 10 days and demanding a refund. Obviously, I have already won fairly. Can they reopen a dispute after you already won? 

Thank you for your response. I’m not going to respond any further. I think that’s the smart thing to do.
prestonhunter
Community Member

Katlyn:

This client sounds like a bad client, who is probably a bad person.

I can imagine that the reason she didn't respond to the dispute is that she had nothing to say. What kind of defense or explanation is there when somebody hires a freelancer to do work, and then tries to avoid paying for that work?

I am glad that the Upwork system worked for for you in this situation.

I agree with Nichola: I really don't think there is anything the client can do at this point.

You always have the option to block the client from communicating with you further if her demands/rants are problematic.

Thank you for your response. I didn’t know that I could block this person. I think that may be the best option. I know that I received emails for 10 days about the dispute. We were going back and forth (me and client). All of a sudden when the mediator kicked in, my client disappeared. This went on for 10 days. Even received an email that if the client doesn’t respond within 2 days, the funds will be released. I’m guessing the client thought that if they did not respond, it would go away. At this point, it’s not even about the money- it is the principle. People who work deserve to be paid.
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katlyn,

If you disagree with the Client's refund request you can decline it and no further action will be required. Someone from our team will follow up on your support ticket with more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi thank you for responding. Yes, I do deny it because I was not paid for my work. That’s why I went into dispute. I was glad I won because it was only fair to do so.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members