🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can agency member profile identity be cha...
Page options
harihsr
Community Member

Can agency member profile identity be changed to that of a different user?

Hi All,

I was working with an agency for over 10 years and had an agency member profile. Now due to some reasons I had to quit that agency, but they did not release my profile to me. I now want to start my freelance career and created a new profile here. I informed upwork about duplicate profile.

After 20 days of discussion with support, here is what I have from them:
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Well how's this possible? Would appreciate your response on this.

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Hari K wrote:
Hi All,

I was working with an agency for over 10 years and had an agency member profile. Now due to some reasons I had to quit that agency, but they did not release my profile to me. I now want to start my freelance career and created a new profile here. I informed upwork about duplicate profile.

You may choose to continue operating on your new profile and allow new user to continue on their profile or request closure of your old profile as per your initial request on this thread. Please note that closure request is not guaranteed as we will have to contact new user and take their approval as well."

Well how's this possible? Would appreciate your response on this.

Unbelievable.

So (if this is true) Upwork not only tolerates, but actively facilitates account transfers with someone else taking over a freelancer's entire history and feedback, hence betraying and cheating clients.

harihsr
Community Member

That's why I am confused. How come this could happen and why is upwork favouring agencies?
petra_r
Community Member

Hari K wrote:
That's why I am confused. How come this could happen and why is upwork favouring agencies?

Let's wait for official word but personally I think if they allow this kind of shennanigans they might as well allow the selling of profiles, profile sharing and all the other things that are strictly forbidden.

You made a mistake creating a new profile, you should have insisted on yours from the beginning, but it feels super wrong that the agency could just change the profile to someone else's despite the history being yours.

harihsr
Community Member

I had to verify my identity that's why I created a new profile, otherwise I might not have been considered at all. During the verification call I had informed upwork about the other profile. And you would be amazed that the very first response I received from support was a copy of the last one I received after 20 days.

Hari,

I have confirmed with the team that the agency will not be allowed to use your original account and it will be closed. We will have your ticket updated as well. I apologize for the confusion caused by the previous message on the ticket. 
I'd also like to note that we always urge users not to share their login information with others and make sure they are the only person who accesses the account.
~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:
I have confirmed with the team that the agency will not be allowed to use your original account and it will be closed.

That is partially good news (that the agency can not just switch users) but why can Hari not just have his account (with his history) back?

harihsr
Community Member

That's the point actually. I believe it's a different way of saying the same thing that support team has said, and does not sound harsh or violation.

Correct me if wrong.
harihsr
Community Member

I would like to reatain/regain my old account. Please don't delete it without my consent.

Hi,

I see that reviews under my old account can now be seen under a new name, for that agency. That means profile transfer is successful and account is still with agency. You have neither deleted the account not hand over to me.

I have not received any updates on my support thread as well. This is total cheating from your part. How many people like me have been cheated?
petra_r
Community Member

Hari K wrote:

I have not received any updates on my support thread as well. This is total cheating from your part. How many people like me have been cheated?

Give it a bit of time. Stuff like that is (quite rightly) not decided instantly.

A few days at least.

harihsr
Community Member

It's been around 5 days now, no response yet. Overall 30 days. How long to wait? Will there be justice?
harihsr
Community Member

Hello Petra and Valeria,

I thank you guys for supportive. It has paid off. This community is ideall for solving issues and discourages all the involve parties from taking wrong action even Upwork support.

To close this thread please tell - Who owns the agency member profile, freelancer or agency?
How acquiring process simplified?

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, Hari.

In order to avoid situations like this in the future, please make sure you are the only person who knows password and security question for your account and you don't share it with anybody including the agency you may decide to join. Agency owner and admins can manage agency contracts, settings, payments, etc. through available roles and permissions and shouldn't be logging into their agency freelancers' accounts directly.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Hari,

I'm checking on your ticket with the team that's been handling it and will get back to you once I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria, and sorry for posting original content.

I have all the skills it requires to top the charts again. Not at all affected by the decision support team has made.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths