cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can agency member profile identity be changed to that of a different user?

Hari K Member Since: Mar 30, 2019
1 of 16

Hi All,

I was working with an agency for over 10 years and had an agency member profile. Now due to some reasons I had to quit that agency, but they did not release my profile to me. I now want to start my freelance career and created a new profile here. I informed upwork about duplicate profile.

After 20 days of discussion with support, here is what I have from them:
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Well how's this possible? Would appreciate your response on this.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 16

Hari K wrote:
Hi All,

I was working with an agency for over 10 years and had an agency member profile. Now due to some reasons I had to quit that agency, but they did not release my profile to me. I now want to start my freelance career and created a new profile here. I informed upwork about duplicate profile.

You may choose to continue operating on your new profile and allow new user to continue on their profile or request closure of your old profile as per your initial request on this thread. Please note that closure request is not guaranteed as we will have to contact new user and take their approval as well."

Well how's this possible? Would appreciate your response on this.

Unbelievable.

So (if this is true) Upwork not only tolerates, but actively facilitates account transfers with someone else taking over a freelancer's entire history and feedback, hence betraying and cheating clients.

3 of 16
That's why I am confused. How come this could happen and why is upwork favouring agencies?
Community Guru
4 of 16

Hari K wrote:
That's why I am confused. How come this could happen and why is upwork favouring agencies?

Let's wait for official word but personally I think if they allow this kind of shennanigans they might as well allow the selling of profiles, profile sharing and all the other things that are strictly forbidden.

You made a mistake creating a new profile, you should have insisted on yours from the beginning, but it feels super wrong that the agency could just change the profile to someone else's despite the history being yours.

5 of 16
I had to verify my identity that's why I created a new profile, otherwise I might not have been considered at all. During the verification call I had informed upwork about the other profile. And you would be amazed that the very first response I received from support was a copy of the last one I received after 20 days.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 16

Hari,

I have confirmed with the team that the agency will not be allowed to use your original account and it will be closed. We will have your ticket updated as well. I apologize for the confusion caused by the previous message on the ticket. 
I'd also like to note that we always urge users not to share their login information with others and make sure they are the only person who accesses the account.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
7 of 16

Valeria K wrote:
I have confirmed with the team that the agency will not be allowed to use your original account and it will be closed.

That is partially good news (that the agency can not just switch users) but why can Hari not just have his account (with his history) back?

8 of 16
That's the point actually. I believe it's a different way of saying the same thing that support team has said, and does not sound harsh or violation.

Correct me if wrong.
9 of 16
I would like to reatain/regain my old account. Please don't delete it without my consent.
10 of 16
Hi,

I see that reviews under my old account can now be seen under a new name, for that agency. That means profile transfer is successful and account is still with agency. You have neither deleted the account not hand over to me.

I have not received any updates on my support thread as well. This is total cheating from your part. How many people like me have been cheated?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS