cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can client release partial payment

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
31 of 38

I certainly hope you're right. That would be a pretty terrible way to set things up. Really it would be best to just remove that ability from clients; if they don't want to pay the full fee they should negotiate it with the freelancer and either agree a new price or get the required improvements made.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
32 of 38

Hi Valeria,

Preston H seems to be saying that the client can choose to only release part of the agreed payment, then close the contract and get the rest refunded from escrow. Is this true? If so, when is it likely to be fixed?

Thanks,

Fergus

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 38
re: " If so, when is it likely to be fixed?"

This is not going to be "fixed." It is not a bug. This part of how Upwork markets its services to clients, by assuring them that they will be able to approve work or get a refund.

I appreciate Upwork moderator Valeria's clarification that when clients change the agreed-upon contract payment amount, contractors are shown an option allowing them to either approve or dispute the payment.

If a client ever lowered an fixed-price payment to me, I would approve it, but afterward I would no longer do any work for that client.

Many other contractors would choose to dispute if they felt the payment change was unjustified.
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
34 of 38

Honestly Preston, I don't believe what you're saying to be true.

Not a single professional will accept to work under such circumstances (obviously you would but I think you're be the only one).

I highly appreciate your replies and help, but unless an Upwork representative confirms what you're saying to be true, my mind cannot accept it. There's no way for me to believe that a company worth billions of dollars will build such a stupid & unfair system like the one you described.

Best regards,
Wassim

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
35 of 38

@Preston H wrote:
re: " If so, when is it likely to be fixed?"

This is not going to be "fixed." It is not a bug. This part of how Upwork markets its services to clients, by assuring them that they will be able to approve work or get a refund.

I appreciate Upwork moderator Valeria's clarification that when clients change the agreed-upon contract payment amount, contractors are shown an option allowing them to either approve or dispute the payment.

Preston , I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.

Valeria was quite clear. The client cannot just ask for and receive a refund so it is not part of Upwork's marketing strategy.

Upwork is not offering clients the ability to unilaterally get a refund. The freelancer has to approve a refund from Escrow. There is nothing to be fixed.

If the client wants a refund, it is up to the freelancer to accept this or take it to the next level.

Community Guru
36 of 38
https://www.upwork.com/i/howitworks/client

...presents big, bold, clear text for potential clients telling them that they only pay for work they approve.

This is not news. This is also not a problem. Like I said earlier, this system is rarely abused. I think some people are worrying unnecessarily about a problem that doesn't exist. Or maybe the way I explain the system horribly distorts the reality of the situation.

Here is some text from one of Upwork's main pages for newcomers:

How do payments work?
Pay your freelancer per hour or per project, whichever you choose. For hourly projects, the freelancer bills you once a week, and we'll send a secure payment to your freelancer. For fixed-price projects, we'll release funds to your freelancer after they meet pre-set milestones. In either case, you're covered by Upwork Payment Protection, assuring that you only pay for work you approve.

How do I know I'm protected?
Enjoy peace of mind with systems designed to provide a safe and trusted workplace, including:

Work Diary. This tool captures snapshots of your freelancer's screen every 10 minutes, helping to verify that on hourly jobs, work has been completed as invoiced.

Payment Protection. Upwork Payment Protection assures you that you pay only for work you've approved.

Dispute Resolution. If an issue ever should arise, we have programs to help fix the situation.
Community Guru
37 of 38
re: "Upwork is not offering clients the ability to unilaterally get a refund. The freelancer has to approve a refund from Escrow. If the client wants a refund, it is up to the freelancer to accept this or take it to the next level."

David, I think you have described this accurately.

I think my earlier posts in this thread did not reference the necessity for contractors to approve the payment amount change.

Before payment protection escrow was introduced during the past year, I really do not know if the necessity for contractors to either approve or dispute such changes was in place. As I think back on all the jobs I have hired contractors for, I guess I have never hired using the fixed-price contractors model. I have only used hourly.

So my experience with fixed-price contracts has only been as a contractor.
Community Guru
38 of 38

"This part of how Upwork markets its services to clients, by assuring them that they will be able to approve work or get a refund."

On Elance clients also have to approve work before releasing escrow, but when they do approve it they have to release the full payment. This strikes me as a much better way of doing things; after all if they approve the work it's clearly what they contracted to receive, so there is no legitimate reason for them releasing less than what they contracted to pay.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS