cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can clients or freelancer change feedback?

Highlighted
Mark D Member Since: Nov 14, 2016
1 of 18

(note: As a freelancer, I know I have the option to request negative feedback removal. That's not my question below.)

Once feedback ratings and comments are posted, can clients and/or freelancers change them? I have an odd situation where a client gave me low ratings after they attempted to cut my pay after delivery. Obviously, I objected. Ultimately, they paid, and we parted ways.

I thought it was over, but they apparently decided to trash me on the ratings after ending the contract. I had already decided not to leave my own comment or rating on the client since the end of the relationship was unpleasant and I just wanted to move on.

This was a long-term project with several complimentary emails on work and now I can't use them as a reference. I believe the negativity was done in the heat of the moment. I'd like to ask them to reconsider. Is it worth it? Can clients remove their ratings or change them if they change their minds?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

Mark D wrote: I believe the negativity was done in the heat of the moment. I'd like to ask them to reconsider. Is it worth it? Can clients remove their ratings or change them if they change their minds?

Yes, but only if you enable them to do so (link is on contract) and it is hardly ever worth it.

Also, the contract's impact on your JSS remains.

Go to My Jobs > All Contracts > Include closed contracts

enable.png

Highlighted
3 of 18

Petra, my screen doesn't show that option to "enable client to change feedback." Maybe I don't get to do that since I didn't leave feedback? Or time frame to do so has passed?

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 18

Hi Mark, 

Due to the double-blind feedback system, the option to enable changes will not be available until you have left feedback for the client, or until the 14-day feedback period closes, whichever comes first.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 18

@Avery O wrote:

Due to the double-blind feedback system, the option to enable changes will not be available until you have left feedback for the client, or until the 14-day feedback period closes, whichever comes first.

This makes no sense!

If Mark has SEEN the feedback the client left (which he says he has) it must have been at least 14 days since the client left their feedback, *OR* Mark must have left feedback himself.

When did all this happen, Mark?

I have just checked, the button seems to be missing from all my closed contracts apart from the last one.

Maybe Upwork shortened the time window during which you can enable the change (I believe it used to be 6 months...)

Highlighted
6 of 18

Thank, Avery. The contract was closed on June 9. The feedback appears to have shown up this past week (first week of July). I realized it because my JSS went down 10%.

edited to add: also note, I did not leave ratings or feedback myself. I was torn about it---if the last week of May had not happened, I would have given them 4 or 5 stars. But the nature of what happened that week, made me hesitate. They not only attempted to penalize me financially, they also insisted they had complete discretion to define edits (in this case, they insisted doubling content at client request was an edit for the same fee), and they also said if I didn't sign a contract (I had none prior to this) that gave them the right to reduce my pay after delivery if they didn't like the work, I would not be given any more assignments. So I left.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 18

Hi Petra, 
Thank you for the flag. You are correct that for Mark to have seen the feedback, the 14-day feedback period has already passed. 

Hi Mark,
You are unable to see the option to enable the client to edit feedback because you didn't leave feedback for your contracts with this client. If you would like to leave feedback for the client, your client will have to enable you to edit your feedback.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
8 of 18

Hi Avery,

I've been reviewing my options on this issue. At the end of the day, I just want to get rid of the feedback and move on. Which brings me to a new problem: I can only remove one job feedback from what I understand. As it happens, this client started a second contract on Upwork for this assignment (for some internal reason on their end), but did not close out the first contract when they did. You can see from their listings that it's exactly the same assignment on two different contracts. When we settled last June, they then closed out both contracts and gave me negative reviews on both open jobs even though it was the same job. So one client's negative feedback is doubled on my JSS. How can I get this doubled negative feedback removed?

Issue #2: Hypothetically speaking, if a client tried to pay me through Paypal, is that a violation of the TOS even tho I refused to let them? And, is it also a violation of the client's TOS to coerce freelancer's take accept less than agreed payment after delivering the agreed upon work? Assume documentation exists in both instances. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 18

@Mark D wrote:

Issue #1: When we settled last June, they then closed out both contracts and gave me negative reviews on both open jobs even though it was the same job. So one client's negative feedback is doubled on my JSS. How can I get this doubled negative feedback removed?

Issue #2: Hypothetically speaking, if a client tried to pay me through Paypal, is that a violation of the TOS even tho I refused to let them? And, is it also a violation of the client's TOS to coerce freelancer's take accept less than agreed payment after delivering the agreed upon work? Assume documentation exists in both instances. Smiley Happy

Issue 1 - No, you can only remove the JSS impact and / or feedback for one contract every 10 jobs and 3 months. So you could remove one now, the other in 3 months provided you are still top rated and have completed 10 more contracts.

Issue 2 - Yes, both are violations that would get the client a slap on the wrist, but have nothing to do with the feedback.

Highlighted
10 of 18

Thanks, Petra!

I know that's the "standard" procedure. I'm hoping that Upwork might review this situation for its oddity---it's the same job giving twice the amount of negative feedback due to a technical issue, so removing one negative still means the negative feedback will exist for the other for the same job. Plus, I tend to search for long-term, bigger projects, so the likelihood of my acquiring 10 jobs in the next three months is low. It's all very frustrating.

Do you happen to know the "slap on the wrist" penalty for those violations? I've also debated reaching out to them to change the feedback, but I'm doubtful of the success of that. Maybe a little leverage might help.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS