Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Can entering your education years be discriminatory?

This widget could not be displayed.
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
11 of 37

@Suzanne I wrote:

Is entering the years you attended school really that important?  Can't someone be discriminated against by agism? Both ways, youth and elder?


I do not believe entering years is that important especially in freelancing.  Of course someone can discriminate for any number of reasons.  They can do it based on school years but they can also do it based on your photo, color of skin, location you work from, name, etc.  As in life you aren't going to be able to fully escape it.  These aren't people you want to work for anyway.  But again to your specific question, I would not perceive it as an issue if you did not indicate the years you attended school.  

This widget could not be displayed.
12 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

We can only display our CVs on Update with concrete dates. Of course one can abstain from showing having attended primary school for example from 1950 - 1960, however, when it comes to university or jobs, the truth about somebody's age becomes apparent. If Upwork does not want to uncover ages it has to abstain from concrete years in the CV.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
13 of 37

@Margarete M wrote:

We can only display our CVs on Update with concrete dates. Of course one can abstain from showing having attended primary school for example from 1950 - 1960, however, when it comes to university or jobs, the truth about somebody's age becomes apparent. If Upwork does not want to uncover ages it has to abstain from concrete years in the CV.


 Wait, this has become required now?  When did they make this change?

This widget could not be displayed.
14 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Scott B wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

We can only display our CVs on Update with concrete dates. Of course one can abstain from showing having attended primary school for example from 1950 - 1960, however, when it comes to university or jobs, the truth about somebody's age becomes apparent. If Upwork does not want to uncover ages it has to abstain from concrete years in the CV.


 Wait, this has become required now?  When did they make this change?


 With concrete dates I mean the years, that is the came in the CV on your profile.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
15 of 37

I guess I am saying that when I created my profile later in 2015 I was not required to provide years (or it doesn't display them).  It would seem from the above that you now have to enter the years?

This widget could not be displayed.
16 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Scott B wrote:

I guess I am saying that when I created my profile later in 2015 I was not required to provide years (or it doesn't display them).  It would seem from the above that you now have to enter the years?


 You added the years in your CV as well but obviously, you have been able to display your education without a year, only using a dash...

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
17 of 37

@Margarete M wrote:

@Scott B wrote:

I guess I am saying that when I created my profile later in 2015 I was not required to provide years (or it doesn't display them).  It would seem from the above that you now have to enter the years?


 You added the years in your CV as well but obviously, you have been able to display your education without a year, only using a dash...


I just tested with a new entry.  It appears as if the years are required.  At the time I entered my profile, again back in 2015, it obviously was not required.  There is no way for me to manually insert anything like a "-".  So at some point since late 2015, this has become a required entry.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 37

I believe that in the real world of what goes on with Upwork hiring, clients are looking for freelancers who can help them accomplish their goals. And the number of clients who are intent on hiring freelancers based on their age is so small as to be not worth worrying about.

 

There are real problems that Upwork freelancers are facing. This is not a big issue or one that is worth your time worrying about.

 

So if you are asking whether you should include your education or not, out of concern about the years associated with your education... I would say definitely include your education.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 37

@Scott B wrote:

I do not believe entering years is that important especially in freelancing. 


 Doesn't that depend on the service you're offering, though? We have many people on Upwork offering CPA services, paralegal services, even attorneys. I'm sure having the appropriate background is important to those clients. I'm not even offering legal services, but my law degree is relevant to the attorneys I ghostwrite for...it gives them a degree of confidence in the legal accuracy and regulatory compliance of the content I create for them.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 37

Tiffany makes an excellent point.

 

The relevance of one's education will depend on the type of job.

 

When I hire artists, I don't look at educational background. I also don't read profile overview text or read proposal letters. I just look at portfolios and work history.

 

But for other types of jobs, I'm certain educational background will be of significant interest to potential clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS