cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can entering your education years be discriminatory?

suzannei
Suzanne I Member Since: Mar 19, 2017
1 of 37

Is entering the years you attended school really that important?  Can't someone be discriminated against by agism? Both ways, youth and elder?

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 37

How would you know they discriminated against you unless they told you outright? (Which is a violation of Upwork TOS; indeed, one posting was taken down recently, I believe, for stating they didn't want someone past a certain age to apply).

Would you leave the years of school attendance off of your resume?

View solution in original post

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
3 of 37

@Kat C wrote:

Regardless of one's answer, I do not believe that your profile on a freelancing site would need to match the same as you would supply in terms of a resume.  For example, I would have my full address and contact details on a resume. Would I have that in my profile here?  Of course not and UW wouldn't allow it anyway.  With resume situations you are likely subjected to background screenings as well.  It's just not the yardstick I would use to measure a profile.  Of course in the end it's a personal choice (outside of the rules) as to how much one wants to put on their profile. 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 37

@Scott B wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

Regardless of one's answer, I do not believe that your profile on a freelancing site would need to match the same as you would supply in terms of a resume.  For example, I would have my full address and contact details on a resume. Would I have that in my profile here?  Of course not and UW wouldn't allow it anyway.  With resume situations you are likely subjected to background screenings as well.  It's just not the yardstick I would use to measure a profile.  Of course in the end it's a personal choice (outside of the rules) as to how much one wants to put on their profile. 

I disagree.

So, there's that. 

Your profile on any site, whether this one or others, should match what you'd send out on a resume. 

donald-price
Donald J. P Member Since: Dec 1, 2017
5 of 37

I do leave my years of attendance off my Resume. It is the advice most experts give if your past 40 or so. I dont understand why Upwork requires this and allowing potential clients the data necesarry to filter out my proposal because they know I happen to be 59.

I am new to Upwork, but unfortunately not new to ageism. I have been working as a graphic designer since I graduated from art school. We all want a level playing field to compete for projects. I make sure I put on my resume the fact that I am a highly skilled professional with a lot of experience. If its 5 years or 25 years of experience that fact should be irrelevant, no? I am not an over the hill, out of touch, baby boomer. Unfortunately in the creative fields this is a huge problem because that is automatically how I am precieved. To an even bigger extent, tech companies and larger web sites are even more guilty of this predjudice. I might get to the interview stage, arrive appropriately attired but with my long hair and goatee. I would get the stares from the hipsters with the oddly shaved hairstyles and ZZ Top beards, and be thanked for coming by.  It is an ingrained ageist industry. My dad was an advertising copywriter. He worked in NY at all the big agencies in the 60's and 70's. As he got older and more experienced, these agencies would begin to see his experience and age as a negative. Basicallly washed out of advertising by age 50. This was very hard on him and my family. I hope someone in Upwork management might take up this cause and remove the graduation date requirement. Thanks for listening!

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 37

I'm pretty far north of 60 and I don't believe that showing the years of my degrees has held me back on UW.  I do know people in advertising that were eased out of brick and mortar jobs because of age that have flourished as a freelancer. While I don't love that my age can be ascertained from my profile, I don't hate it either.

donald-price
Donald J. P Member Since: Dec 1, 2017
7 of 37

I am new here. I'm relieved to hear that you have found success on Upwork. That gives me some hope I too will be productive here as well. Perhaps if Upworks was around when my Dad was active in Advertising, things might have been better for him. 

But arent you at all curious what jobs you might have been awarded if your graduation date was not required on your Upwork profile?

Seems a simple thing. Is there an official reason out there that this single data point is necessary on our profile? Why not make it optional?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 37
Donald, I'm 51 with 30+ years of experience and five grandchildren, and I make no effort to hide any of it. I've worked with a lot of tech start-ups and digital marketing companies (among many other types) and never encountered the slightest issue, though often the person who hired me was the same age as my oldest daughter.
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 37

@Donald J. P wrote:

I am not an over the hill, out of touch, baby boomer.

Nor am I. Over the hill or out of touch, that is. I’ve even modified my hairstyle and beard over the years. Thanks for teaching us old dogs that ageism is pervasive!

Best,

Michael 

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
10 of 37

I wouldn't be surprised if some people are seeing that I am obviously not young just based on my work history/years (I'm 50) and feel I may not be a good fit for their reading audience. That doesn't bother me in the slightest and I don't care how current some people "could" sound as, say, 50somethings writing for 18-to-24 social media, I understand it is the client's prerogative to make judgments on whom s/he wants to hire. We all make judgments. Clients are surely making them about me. If it's no, I'm not going to lose sleep over it as I have enough and then some of clients who think I'm just perfect for their projects. Someone doesn't want you? Geez, move on. I promise somebody does, if you're committed and are good at what you do.

Weirdly, though, I do get a lot of younger-skewed projects. My clients are happy with my work, so for me anyway, I am not seeing a career-hindring impact. Ageism (that's such a silly word) exists, sure...along with an thousand other "isms" of every potential description. We will be decided against for reasons we may never know...and chosen for reasons we may never know.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS