🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can i ask 10/10 private feedback to my client...
Page options
iamabdurrahman
Community Member

Can i ask 10/10 private feedback to my client?

Can I ask 10/10 private feedback to my client?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Abdur R wrote:

If I were that client and you did that, I'd report you for attempted feedback manipulation and make sure my feedback to you (public and private) would reflect just how unprofessional I consider such behaviour to be.

As a freelancer, I have never, not in 270+ jobs, mentioned feedback at all, let alone private feedback (which is called "private" for a reason. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Abdur R wrote:

If I were that client and you did that, I'd report you for attempted feedback manipulation and make sure my feedback to you (public and private) would reflect just how unprofessional I consider such behaviour to be.

As a freelancer, I have never, not in 270+ jobs, mentioned feedback at all, let alone private feedback (which is called "private" for a reason. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Abdur R wrote:

I was going to slightly disagree with you  but then I  realized I was thinking of something else - testimonials. I often would like to use a client's testimonial because we were very successful together, but that's  separate from their feedback on how I can improve my services to  work more effectively with them.   I agree completely with you that it's inappropriate to suggest not only what kind of feedback they leave, but also to bother them to remember to leave feedback is also a bad idea.   It reminds me of businesses I  frequent who have my email and constantly send me email reminders to review them on Yelp. If  I wanted to leave a review, I would have...

prestonhunter
Community Member

If a freelancer asked me for something like that I would be very tempted to give him negative feedback, mention his inappropriate behavior in written feedback, and I would probably contact Customer Support and see if I can work with them to have the freelancer removed permanently from the Upwork platform.

Petra, Preston

You're missing the point of feedback. It's to asses how a freelancer did his job.The job is done and you're about to close the contract. Anything said and done after the job is over is irrelevant.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Aleksandr S wrote:

Petra, Preston

You're missing the point of feedback. It's to asses how a freelancer did his job.The job is done and you're about to close the contract. Anything said and done after the job is over is irrelevant.

The job is not over until the fat lady has sung and it's closed.

Inappropriate behaviour flows into the communication part of feedback and as far as I am concerned asking for 10/ 10 PRIVATE feedback is highly inappropriate. So yes, it would tempt me to dock the communication stars and make sure it goes into the written feedback to warn other clients.

Because I would not want to afflict such behaviour o nfriends or colleagues, I would not recommend such a freelancer, so that would go into private feedback as well.

Amanda L wrote:

I was going to slightly disagree with you  but then I  realized I was thinking of something else - testimonials. I

No, testimonials are quite a different matter. This is a freelancer wanting to ask a client to leave them 10 out of 10 **private** feedback. 

lysis10
Community Member

I always wonder if some of these people who rage about bad private feedback being impossible because all their jobs were so perfect were the ones who pestered clients for 10/10 and pissed them off enough where they rated them down.

I too get annoyed when I get email after email to rate someone on Yelp. Like, dude, the first time I totally understand and don't mind, but the 5th email is pissing me off.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines** Petra and I have different approaches with regard to the discussion of the project end close processes (specifically in reference to discussing the ratings systems, leaving scores, etc. with clients.)    Having choices is often useful.

Petra, I so would love to see beaches in the lovely town in which you live.  Hailed as some of Italy's finest, you truly live in a paradise.  Bravo.

Not everybody loves everything about the ratings system. But Upwork's rating system is there for a purpose, and the way it is designed is not an accident. The questions are not accidental. The order of the questions are not accidental. The fact that feedback is double-blind is not accidental.

All of these elements - however imperfect they may be - are intentional. The main intent of the rating system is to provide clients with information that will help them when they are hiring freelancers. Upwork wants to present clients with feedback about freelancers and the jobs they have done in the past, and Upwork also wants to be able to present JSS scores which represent a wide spread of numbers.

Upwork explicitly stated that one of the main reasons they added private feedback and did other things when creating the current JSS system was that the old system clustered freelancers too tightly around a perfect score. This rendered the summary rating score presented on freelancer profile pages largely meaningless.

Private feedback and other innovations in the JSS helped spread these scores out.

It is NOT Upwork's intention that freelancers mention feedback, especially private feedback. It is not Upwork's intention that freelancers instruct clients about what feedback to provide. To do so interferes with the feedback system.

I would prefer that all clients understand that when a freelancer asks for specific feedback scores, that freelancer is violating Upwork ToS. A freelancer can have their account penalized (suspended, terminated, etc.) for doing this. The page "Freelancer Violations and Account Holds" specifically identifies "Feedback Abuse" as a reason that freelancer accounts may be penalized:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.16.12 AM.png

The OP asked about asking. Asking is not forcing or pressuring or feedback abuse.

The OP asked if he can ask for 10/10 pro street feedback.

At least a couple participants described how they might react as clients if a freelancer did so.

It is not Upwork's intention that freelancer's ask for 10/10 private feedback, or mention private feedback in any way.

I am sorry if the document I linked to does not make this sufficiently clear.

react... intention... what are you talking about?

I'll repeat again, so it simple for you to understand:

the OP's question: if he can ask for 10/10 private feedback

the answer: yes, asking is not in any way the feedback abuse

The negative reaction of some freelancers in this topic just shows they don't understand this simple logic

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, thank you for participating in this thread. 

Abdur, I would like to note that it is considered feedback abuse if you pressure your clients to give you good feedback, and if you withhold work until good feedback is promised, and left for you. As noted in this help article, and as Preston has shared in his reply, it's OK to let clients know that you strive to provide high-quality work and to earn a good rating, or to ask for feedback to be left. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths