🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can i ask the client again if he didn't respo...
Page options
ian_pineda
Community Member

Can i ask the client again if he didn't respond to my last message?

Hello, i applied to a client and he'll send me a project as soon as the script is ready. but it's been 3  days and i asked again. I said this: "If i got the script do i make per episode weekly?" and then no reply. What should i do? I don't want to pay again to waste connects, i've already wasted 130 connects and a reply from a client is sooo rare in my case.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you did a "test", there's a very strong chance that what you did was the actual project, and you'll never hear from this client again. It's a common scam.

However, if it wasn't anything actually useable and was really just a sample, the delay could be any number of reasons, including deciding to go with someone else. You could send a quick message (again, using the messaging system, not another proposal) to re-iterate your availability, and that you'd be happy to start as soon as a contract is finalized, but I wouldn't do anything more than that. Not only would it seem unprofessional, it would be adding stress for yourself.

But if he hasn't responded after this long, I'd just stop worrying about it and focus on other projects.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Did the client actually send you an offer? If not, then he did not hire you, and you have no obligation to do anything for him.

If the client sent you a message, you don't need to spend any additional connects to reply to that message. But if there was no offer notification, you don't have a job, and shouldn't concern yourself with this client.

I provided a test sample and he liked it, he said he'll send a project as soon as the script is ready, i'm assuming the hiring comes later. And yes, i won't do work unless he hires me. Do i message him again just to be sure? i don't want to wait that long and expect a work that is not sure.

If you did a "test", there's a very strong chance that what you did was the actual project, and you'll never hear from this client again. It's a common scam.

However, if it wasn't anything actually useable and was really just a sample, the delay could be any number of reasons, including deciding to go with someone else. You could send a quick message (again, using the messaging system, not another proposal) to re-iterate your availability, and that you'd be happy to start as soon as a contract is finalized, but I wouldn't do anything more than that. Not only would it seem unprofessional, it would be adding stress for yourself.

But if he hasn't responded after this long, I'd just stop worrying about it and focus on other projects.

Yes, i should ask one more time to make sure. and then try to find another. thanks.

Asking again will do nothing, except maybe chase them away if they are genuine. They have your details, they will contact you if/when they want to. 

I agree with comments above. The client has your details, they have said they will contact you when they are ready. If you keep messaging them then you stand a good chance they will not bother giving you anything (if they are genuine).

That is it, forget about that client, you did your proposal, presumably answered their questions and they told you they will be in touch when reaedy. Move on now and if the client comes back to you then its a bonus, if not dont waste another second thinking about it.

Ian P wrote:

I provided a test sample and he liked it, he said he'll send a project as soon as the script is ready, i'm assuming the hiring comes later. And yes, i won't do work unless he hires me. Do i message him again just to be sure? i don't want to wait that long and expect a work that is not sure.

The hiring does not come later ... it comes right from the very beginning. Get enough freelancers to send "samples" and get your job done for free - that's how many clients operate (and get away with it), on Upwork.

Hello does this need be in a form of proposal?
johnchristopher2
Community Member

I can't tell if your talking about a telemarketing job: Client is probably busy or has chosen another freelancer

Or some sort of delivarable (video editing, advertisement, video presentation): If this is the case then he/she probably found someone else, or they're busy, or the sample was the work as someone mentioned. However, if this is the type of job it concerns and you really want this job then yes.... Message him/her again. I would even prove why I AM the best candidate for the role. This works 2 out of 2 times if you know you're the right choice for the project. Don't be pushy or needy, but adding valuable insight into 'you' can be very helpfull for the employer and might push them over the line to picking you. If you're concerned they'd be getting free work "watermark" it or better yet, make it incomplete. Good luck. (edited - facepalms at my own spelling mistakes)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members