🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can i share WhatsApp number with Client?
Page options
parannjmf
Community Member

Can i share WhatsApp number with Client?

I have completed two projects with one client. In the meantime, I have developed a very close relationship with him. Currently he wants my mobile number and WhatsApp number. Can I share?

I will definitely do any kind of transaction through upwork. Can WhatsApp number be given only for friendly relationship?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are welcome to share your WhatsApp number with a client. For friendship or work. Does not matter.

After a client has officially hired you, there is no limit on how you communicate with clients.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
e825750a
Community Member

Hello,
The fact that you completed two projects for him prove that this client is probably not a scammer. However it will remain a violation of Upwork terms of services. This is up to you to make the choice.
Thanks,
Bruno

Bruno S wrote:
Hello,
The fact that you completed two projects for him prove that this client is probably not a scammer. However it will remain a violation of Upwork terms of services. This is up to you to make the choice.
Thanks,
Bruno

It's not after opening a contract.

Thanks
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are welcome to share your WhatsApp number with a client. For friendship or work. Does not matter.

After a client has officially hired you, there is no limit on how you communicate with clients.

Thanks for you feedback.

A client asked me to whatsapp him even though he has not hired me yet. His profile seems very legit as he has hired multiple people through upwork before. What should I do?

Hafsa H wrote:
A client asked me to whatsapp him even though he has not hired me yet. His profile seems very legit as he has hired multiple people through upwork before. What should I do?

Sharing your number before you have a contract is a ToS violation.

You should also consider to get a number only for your freelance activities.

re: "A client asked me to whatsapp him even though he has not hired me yet. His profile seems very legit as he has hired multiple people through upwork before. What should I do?"

Hafsa:

This client may indeed be a legitimate client and an honorable person. Who simply doesn't know the rules.

But the rule applies to honorable people as well as scammers.

I can assure you that no Upwork representative will tell you that it is okay to make an exception in this instance.

My personal advice to you is to be polite, be hopeful, be friendly... but follow the rule.

Tell the client that Upwork rules require you to communicate only using the Upwork Messages tool until you have been officially hired.

A lot of clients who are interested in hiring me actually don't want to use Upwork Messages, and when I tell them about the rule, they send me a Hire offer immediately. I actually end up making money because of this rule. I can't say that the same thing will happen for you. But I believe you will be better off if you follow the rule.

Hi Hafsa,

Please know that is not allowed. All communications should be done on Upwork if there is no active contract yet. Please let your client know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
f68fd8bf
Community Member

So after the contract has been started, can I share my number directly in chat? It will not count as a violation of service.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths