Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i share phone number with a client?

Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
1 of 8

hi all,

can i share my phone number with a client who has sent an invitation for an interview?

Rahul

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

@Rahul V wrote:

hi all,

can i share my phone number with a client who has sent an invitation for an interview?

Rahul

It's not recommended to share private data like with perspective clients until they hire you. You have at least 2 other viable options:

1. Skype (if you have a microphone)

2. Upwork Message Center voice/video (if you have a microphone)

And, if you don't have a microphone, and often are being interviewed, you should get a mic right away.

If you can't do a VOIP call and really want to do this interview, you should do your best to confirm the client is legit, and then do the call. But in the future, VOIP is safer for interviews.

Edit: Clarity

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

re: "can i share my phone number with a client who has sent an invitation for an interview?"

There's no Upwork rule against doing so.

But Pandora's suggestions are excellent, about having your own personal policies.

Acknowledging that, I would say that a client who wants to interview you via phone is FAR less likely to be a scammer than a client who wants to interview you via chat (such as Google Hangouts), because the phone interview client can not so easily mask his identity. On the phone, he can't pretend that he is "John Smith" calling you from New York City, when he is really somebody who barely speaks English, and is using a script to send you canned questions and answers from a scam playbook.

There ARE scammers who speak English flawlessly and who will use the phone. They are simply fewer in number.

Community Guru
4 of 8

ok thanks prestonSmiley Happy

Community Guru
5 of 8

thanks pandoraSmiley Happy

Ryan B Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
6 of 8

Pandora H wrote:

@Rahul V wrote:

hi all,

Rahul

It's not recommended to share private data like with perspective clients until they hire you. You have at least 2 other viable options:

1. Skype (if you have a microphone)

2. Upwork Message Center voice/video (if you have a microphone)

And, if you don't have a microphone, and often are being interviewed, you should get a mic right away.

If you can't do a VOIP call and really want to do this interview, you should do your best to confirm the client is legit, and then do the call. But in the future, VOIP is safer for interviews.

Edit: Clarity

@Pandora H,

I notice you say "If you can't do a VOIP call," but is there any case that you "can't" use/a legitimate reason not to use Upwork's messaging, call, and video capabilities?  

I could be wrong, but it seems like a red flag if someone does not want to use Upwork's messaging, calling, or video. 

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "I notice you say 'If you can't do a VOIP call,' but is there any case that you "can't" use/a legitimate reason not to use Upwork's messaging, call, and video capabilities? I could be wrong, but it seems like a red flag if someone does not want to use Upwork's messaging, calling, or video. Thanks in advance for the advice."

Ryan:

Communicating via chat/text only works fine with Upwork's tool.

The problem is that the audio call and video call capabilities built into Upwork's messaging tool rarely work, or work for very few users. Maybe 5 to 10% of users are actually able to get it to work. So people who have tried using this capability a number of times have typically given up on it, because it wastes their time and it is kind of embarrassing. They end up using a regular phone call, or Skype, or some other communications tool.

Community Leader
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
8 of 8

Sure. I do it all the time. It's not against the TOS, so why not. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS