🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can i withdraw money if this happen?
Page options
7f29e6e3
Community Member

Can i withdraw money if this happen?

Last week i received a mail from upwork said that client want to get her money back, and i already provide upwork all the evidence to show that her demand is not right, and today i noticed that mail said:
"In the meantime, you won’t be able to withdraw any funds until the amount above is returned to us. If funds are available in your Upwork account, we will pull the amount due from that balance. If not, let us know when you have enough funds in your Upwork account so that we can collect the past due amount. Once this amount is returned to us, you’ll be able to withdraw funds again"

I don't get it, this mean that i can't withdraw anything ????? Upwork is my main income, if yes, that not fair for me as other freelancer that client told their bank to give her money back for no reason, and i can't do anything with work and effort

15 REPLIES 15
PradeepH

Hi LE Q,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the hold placed on your account. I see that you have already responded to the support ticket initiated on your account. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
7f29e6e3
Community Member

Hi @Pradeep i mailed a lots to upwork and all of them reply like a form said:

"In the meantime, you won’t be able to withdraw any funds until the amount above is returned to us. If funds are available in your Upwork account, we will pull the amount due from that balance. If not, let us know when you have enough funds in your Upwork account so that we can collect the past due amount. Once this amount is returned to us, you’ll be able to withdraw funds again"

What can i do to protect myself, this situation is like  rob, i can't do anything to protect myself from losing money that i put effort and work to get! We work on your platform, we pay fee, we work hard to pay fee and maintain our life, and we do not deverse this situation

petra_r
Community Member

From what you are saying this is not a situation where "the client wants their money back", but a situation where the client has filed a chargeback and that would mean that their bank has already taken the money back.

Depending on the reason for the chargeback, it may not be possible to defend, so yes, in such a case you would lose the money. Your issue is between yourself and the client.

7f29e6e3
Community Member

No, upwork said me an email like this
This reversal (chargeback) is a result of your client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment for the following transaction(s):

She tell her bank to get her money, but what i do wrong??
And immediately i response and provide all information, and evidence, what can i do more? 

Problem ís, "Your issue is between yourself and the client" , so client want to get money then upwork do that, is that fair that i worked for that client, spend time and work now she just need to tell back to get back the money when she want? How about me? what can i do ?

Bank tell upwork to give them money, but they take from freelancer without any permisson and reason, Upwork is the one that give the bank money, you can't not just give the bank money for no reason and get that money from freelancer, i already told, it like rob, money go away without any permission and i can't do anything, so upwork, please help 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

LE Q wrote:

No, upwork said me an email like this
This reversal (chargeback) is a result of your client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment for the following transaction(s):

Exactly. That means the client's bank has already taken the money back from Upwork.

LE Q wrote:

She tell her bank to get her money, but what i do wrong?? 

Have you asked your client?

LE Q wrote:

Bank tell upwork to give them money, but they take from freelancer without any permisson and reason, 

That is, unfortunately, how chargebacks work, There is a chance that Upwork may be able to defend the chargeback. In most cases this is unsuccessful though.

LE Q wrote:

Upwork is the one that give the bank money, you can't not just give the bank money for no reason and get that money from freelancer

No, the money is reversed from Upwork already. The client's bank has already taken it back.

7f29e6e3
Community Member

So client just need to tell the bank, then i will automatic lose money for that??? Is there nothing i can do ??

petra_r
Community Member

LE Q wrote:

So client just need to tell the bank, then i will automatic lose money for that??? Is there nothing i can do ??

Basically, yes. The client's Upwork account will be suspended because chargebacks are against the terms of service, but that's the rather unpleasant reality of the banking system.

7f29e6e3
Community Member

As i said, spend time, and effort , now get stolen for nothing !

petra_r
Community Member

LE Q wrote:

As i said, spend time, and effort , now get stolen for nothing !

Can you think of a reason why the client has done this? Was she unhappy with anything?

7f29e6e3
Community Member

I wirte a post 

"i make app by milestone, during the work, if she satisfied, she paid me, and in one milestone, she told me to add more feature that not in milestone, that feature will take more time and effort, so i told her to make new milestone, but she disagreee, so i told her i can't continue on this work and will send her all the code to hire another dev to do this, and she told me that i'm a scam"

I wrote a post about it, the although i have evidence that she not right, i still can't keep my money, justice just a joke in here

petra_r
Community Member

LE Q wrote:

justice just a joke in here

It has nothing to do with "in here" - that's a feature of the banking system designed to protect cardholders from scams and/or unauthorised use of their credit cards or PayPal etc.

7f29e6e3
Community Member

Then i use that rule to hide freelancer then when done i will tell the bank that is scam, then get back the money, do it look like even fair? And platfiorm like Upwork must have protection rule for freelancer, freelancer IS the one who make money for them

7f29e6e3
Community Member

Also, if upwork take, example 150$, did them include the tax? 20% of 150 is 120, will they get from me 120 or 150???  @Petra R

petra_r
Community Member

You mean the Upwork fee? (Tax is something completely different) Upwork will "only" take the 120 from you

7f29e6e3
Community Member

Wish i never work with this evil client
I have evidence, but still can't not do anything

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths