🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can not close upwork desktop app notification
Page options
kolem
Community Member

Time Tracker

Hello everyone! My time tracker updated last night and since then it won't turn on. Does anyone else has same issue?

20 REPLIES 20
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lejla,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. Could you please confirm whether you can't open the app itself, can open the app but don't see the contracts or do see the contracts but nothing happens when you try to turn the tracker on by using the toggle?

If you can start the app but experience any of the two latter issues, please try signing out and in the Desktop app, clearing browser cookies by using this link and restarting the app in this order (select your name at the bottom of the app > select Settings > Advanced > scroll down and click the Restart button).

If that doesn't help, please check your Work Diary/s to confirm the time you might have logged on your Hourly contract/s recently appears there and then select your name at the bottom of the app > select Settings > Advanced > scroll down and click the Clear Cache and Restart button.

Please do follow up to confirm if any of the steps helped or if you need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello Vakidmir, should I go to this option  Settings > Advanced > scroll down and click the Clear Cache and Restart button. my last worked hours are 3 days ago. I can only this option to troubleshoot my desktop issue that is stuck. please see attached screenshot

hoyle_editing
Community Member

My time tracker app updated this morning, I didnt really want to update today but couldnt see an option to avoid it!

I have been using it today and noticed the app seemed to randomly restart itself with no warning or reason - no big deal as i caught it straight away and restarted the app. However, not long after that happened i noticed it had stopped recording time, again this only 'lost' 10 min so not a huge deal. I then reactivated and carried on, everything seemed ok, but i just went to turn it off as i had finished my work for the day and noticed it has been off for the last half an hour!!

Bit miffed about it if i'm honest - I can obviously log some manual time for the job, but i really hope this isnt going to continue.

Hi Jonathan,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Jonathan,

I'd like to follow up on the advice Aleksandar shared and kindly ask you to submit a support ticket through the app, so our team could review your log files and follow up with an update about the odd behaviour you experienced. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
batanmaejoy
Community Member

As I'm working, the Time Tracker will stop displaying how many hours I worked today and how many hours I've worked this week. The Time Tracker IS on, but I'm not seeing the hours worked as stated above. So the hours are not being tracked as I work.

I've logged out and logged back in, but the same problem happens all over again

Hi Maejoy,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article?  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of the previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Good day!
I ran into a desktop app problem. Yesterday I updated the program and it stopped starting. On launch, App showing me onboarding screens and that’s all.

I already redownloaded the application and cleared the cache, it did not help.

My time tracker still doesn't work. 😢

Hi Maejoy, 

It looks like you are being assisted through a support ticket already. The team handling your ticket will continue assisting you through Ticket #27285283. Feel free to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or information about your issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork
to2n
Community Member

Close button is under windows taskbar. It is very annoying.

Why do not use native windows notifications?

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anton,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I will share your report with our team for investigation. Meanwhile, could you please try changing your taskbar position on the screen and see if you can turn off the notification? You can open the settings by right-clicking the taskbar, selecting 'Taskbar Settings' and changing the value of field 'Taskbar location on screen'.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
to2n
Community Member

Hi! Thanks for the answer. Yes, I can move task bar and close notification. But I'm tired of doing it every time.

to2n
Community Member

Is it so hard to fix this issue? It just need to move notification a little bit to the left.

This problem is completely annoying

01L9k3g

Hi Anton,

I would just like to confirm, is the notification still popping up even after you check the "don't remind me again today"? Please share more information so we can check with the team. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
otken_phil
Community Member

My desktop application stopped working yesterday, probably caused by an upgrade. Now neither the new version (5.3.3.848) nor the previous version (5.3.3.800) will start - the error message is:

[2019-12-08T13:12:18.744] [ERROR] fe.Core:Index - storageInit [Error: Could not open database "uta". Error code: undefined]Error: Could not open database "uta". Error code: undefined at IDBOpenDBRequest.onerror (<anonymous>:91:29084)
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.747] [INFO] main.setup - will-quit 19497
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.747] [INFO] main.setup - onBeforeClose
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.749] [INFO] main.util.wm - opener closed
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.749] [INFO] main.util.wm - WindowsManager.closeSplashScreen
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.751] [INFO] main.uta_native - UTANative.teardown
[2019-12-08T13:12:18.752] [INFO] main.setup - log4js.shutdown

I opened a support ticket, but was told my problem is "complex". Supposedly, engineers are on the job; I have heard nothing yet, and read multiple comments in the Upwork forums suggesting I'm unlikely to hear anything at all for a long time.

Before I get to my bigger picture concerns, I think this should be said:

Upwork needs to create a web application, operating system independent, for time tracking purposes, if they have not already done so. This should be done soon.

I'll grant that the world of Linux is pretty much total chaos, and the wild forking and creation of new distributions out of old ones has generated a mess. I have had critical applications stop working before, and in all cases, there was a web app substitute (Skype is a significant example - the desktop application stopped working one day, but web.skype.com works just fine).

I have a very large CentOS computer, currently my only machine, with a ton of working software installed. I rarely have problems with well-written programs.

Upwork has Linux troubleshooting pages, I actually read the following on one of those pages:

Install on Centos 7 – Not possible

Please use a supported Linux distribution to run the Upwork app. Installation on Centos 7 isn't possible due to lack of certain necessary libraries.

I installed it just fine and it ran for weeks, then it broke, apparently due to an upgrade. So I rather doubt the libraries are an issue. Moreover, some developers add all dependencies to their distribution specifically to avoid issues with dynamically linked libraries.

Finally, CentOS is a community re-compile of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, very commonly used, supposedly a conservative choice intended for stability. The suggestion that we "use a supported operating system" specifically for Upwork, something that would take months of re-configuring and re-building to accomplish, I find very hard to accept.

I think this is Upwork's responsibility, and that a web app (web.upwork.com) would solve a lot of problems, and is a pretty obvious solution to OS compatibility issues. I'd like to see other Linux user's take on this topic.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Philip, 

I'm sorry to learn how this issue has inconvenienced you. It looks like our engineers are still looking into your issue. Once they have an update, the team handling your concern will reach out to you directly through the same ticket thread to assist you further. 

In the meantime, I will go ahead and share your suggestion on having a web app substitute with the team for their consideration.

~ Avery
Upwork

I resolved this myself. I checked the process table, while the application was down, and discovered multiple upwork processes, most of which were zombie processes. I killed all of those, un-installed upwork, then rebooted the computer.

Once back up, I installed the most recent version of upwork, and it now works. It appears that the poorly coded upgrade process, which got stuck and repeated over and over again created multiple zombie processes, one of which locked the database 'uta'.

It looks like the upgrade system needs some re-working, as it almost certainly caused the problem. I will be doing manual upgrades exclusively going forward.

Hello I'm using a Mac Laptop and mine is not also working. No error message displayed I tried every troubleshooting that was stated on the website and still the same thing. This happened after I upgraded my app.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Clarisse, 

Could you please confirm the specific issue you are experiencing with your Upwork Desktop App so that I can file a report with the team and you can be assisted further?

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members