🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can see logins on users' profile pages
Page options
astepanov83
Community Member

Can see logins on users' profile pages

When I open someone's profile (here on the forum), I sometimes see users' logins for a moment. Then the login is replaced by a user's real name. Looks like the js code loads the name and replaces the login with it. Let's go further. For example, I open my own profile page. I see there "Latest posts by Aleksandr S". Then I click "view source code" and search for "Latest posts by". Volia, I can see my login. This works for any profile.

Logins are not something should be kept as securely as passwords, but it's so easy to get them.

UPD. Some use their last names as part of their logins. So this can be revealed.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks for your feedback. Please, refer to Valeria's reply to this thread about the same topic

Valeria wrote:

Eve and others,

We understand your concern and are adamant about keeping our users’ information secure as part of our Privacy Policy. As others pointed out on this thread, usernames though masked across the site are not a security issue and are considered public information. Per our Privacy Policy, under the topic Non-Identifying Information/Usernames it is stated as follows: “We consider usernames to be Non-Identifying Information. Usernames are made public through the Service and are viewable by other Upwork Users." 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks for your feedback. Please, refer to Valeria's reply to this thread about the same topic

Valeria wrote:

Eve and others,

We understand your concern and are adamant about keeping our users’ information secure as part of our Privacy Policy. As others pointed out on this thread, usernames though masked across the site are not a security issue and are considered public information. Per our Privacy Policy, under the topic Non-Identifying Information/Usernames it is stated as follows: “We consider usernames to be Non-Identifying Information. Usernames are made public through the Service and are viewable by other Upwork Users." 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths