Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Attach Files

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 24

I've been invited to a job but the system is rejecting the normal files I attach.

As well the message app is not working AGAIN.

Can we please fix the file attachment problem ASAP. I always have to attach files, especially when they want them to review.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nancy J. D Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
2 of 24

I'm having a similar problem when attempting to upload a completed manuscript. Luckily, I exchanged personal email addresses with the client several years ago so I can send them their stuff, but it's still annoying and won't work when submitting a proposal. And for goodness sake, lose the cutesy "Wait for it" nonsense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 24

Email.

FTP.

Google drive.

DropBox.

Upwork has limitations on the types, amounts, and sizes of files it can upload.

There are many superior, reliable ways exchange files. Learn a few of these methods, and never look back. I use Upwork to find jobs and manage payments, but I certainly don't rely on it as a way to exchange data files.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 24

@Preston H wrote:

Email.

FTP.

Google drive.

DropBox.

Upwork has limitations on the types, amounts, and sizes of files it can upload.

There are many superior, reliable ways exchange files. Learn a few of these methods, and never look back. I use Upwork to find jobs and manage payments, but I certainly don't rely on it as a way to exchange data files.

Doesn't quite work when you're applying for a job and they specifically ask you to attach a file.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 24

re: "Doesn't quite work when you're applying for a job and they specifically ask you to attach a file."

I have found that attaching and sending files via Upwork can be unreliable, even when trying to submit what one might think is a common, safe file type as part of a job proposal.

You can upload your file to a personal FTP site and provide the client a link they can use in a web browser as part of your job proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
6 of 24

If Upwork offers a feature, like attachments to messages or to job proposals, it is completely reasonable to expect it to WORK. But, alas, we know how that goes!

Dropbox and Google Docs are good solutions as you can just put a link into your messages or proposals, and once you've gotten the job you can share a folder with the client and work that way.

To Preston: your tone leaves so much to be desired. Condescension and superiority are not professional, and never help anyone. If you can't be friendly, just don't post - there are plenty of folks who are willing to be actively helpful and not know-it-alls. When people post problems here, they're usually upset, and the way you talk down to them makes them feel even worse. A little compassion goes a long way.

Highlighted
James R Member Since: Jun 5, 2018
7 of 24

Well said!

Highlighted
Jonathan C Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
8 of 24

So... (a little out of topic) Does that mean you can submit a completed work via Google Drive for example?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 24

@Jonathan C wrote:

So... (a little out of topic) Does that mean you can submit a completed work via Google Drive for example?

Sure. You can submit your work any way you and the client agree. The advantage to attaching to an Upwork message (if hourly) or to the "submit work/request payment" form (for fixed price) is simply to document that you've submitted the work. But, you can easily combine the convenience of Google Drive and the protection of going through official channels by using the "submit work/request payment" button to provide the link to the Google Doc to your client.

Highlighted
James R Member Since: Jun 5, 2018
10 of 24

I don't understand the reference to "your client." I am submitting a proposal, so I don't know who my cient is.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS