🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can't Land a job
Page options
marktrinidad1
Community Member

Can't Land a job

Hello everybody!

Looking to start a career here since I've started, Since Upwork moved me to the Rising talent program I thought it would go smoothly, but it hasn't I've made several proposals and use 80 connects but I didn't get any response from the client.

Can I get some expertise or some advice on how to start landing projects and how to grow my network on this platform? 

thank you so much for taking the time

7 REPLIES 7
robin_hyman
Community Member

Mark T wrote:

Hello everybody!

Looking to start a career here since I've started, Since Upwork moved me to the Rising talent program I thought it would go smoothly, but it hasn't I've made several proposals and use 80 connects but I didn't get any response from the client.

Can I get some expertise or some advice on how to start landing projects and how to grow my network on this platform? 

1) Your job title is way too specific. It looks like you have more experience than PDF. 

2) Your profile screams newbie. Try adding portfolio items, testimonials from previous clients/employers. Clients want to see results and ensure you can do the job. 

3) Make sure you read all of the resources for new freelancers. Start with the "New to Upwork" forum and the list of articles in the pinned post.

Keep trying. If you give up, you'll never succeed. 

Thanks for the advice but how can I put some portfolio items, testimonials from previous clients/employers never been land a single job?

Mark T wrote:

ow can I put some portfolio items, testimonials from previous clients/employers never been land a single job?

So, what have you been doing in your "more than 4 years of professional experience"?

Your portfolio is meant to showcase examples of your best work. It does not need to be anything done on Upwork or even anything done for any client at all.

Oh I see just think that only Upwork jobs will be posted in testimonials from previous clients/employers thank you very much hope I can land a job with these tips.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I find it odd that you seem to be starting out yet you've been a member here for nearly three years.

Is that generally considered unusual? Because the same goes for me. I only just completed my first UpWork contract, but I registered my account many years ago. At that time, UpWork hadn't yet implemented the "U.S. only" option, and I had no desire to compete for jobs with foreign freelancers whose cost of living was a tiny fraction of my own. Things have gotten better since then, which is why I'm here now. But is the age of my account working against me?

Daniel R wrote:

Is that generally considered unusual? Because the same goes for me. I only just completed my first UpWork contract, but I registered my account many years ago. At that time, UpWork hadn't yet implemented the "U.S. only" option, and I had no desire to compete for jobs with foreign freelancers whose cost of living was a tiny fraction of my own. Things have gotten better since then, which is why I'm here now. But is the age of my account working against me?

It isn't. Clients can't see how old your profile is, only the dates of your jobs. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members