🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can't Upwork give us at least a minute to...
Page options
m2baylon
Community Member

Can't Upwork give us at least a minute to edit a proposal after they are submitted?

I'm not sure why Upwork doesn't allow us to edit submitted proposal. I'm thinking that they have a good reason for this. A primary reason that I can surmise to preserve the integrity of the proposal. Allowing unlimited editing after submission would make it unreliable.

Based on my experience, I have made accidental clicks that submitted the proposal I was writing without finishing it. The most recent one was when I was trying to attach some images to the proposal and my mouse slid a bit further down and I clicked on Submit. This was not as big of a deal when you only needed 2 connects to apply for a job. The job I applied for here required 6. I did what was called a workaround which is to withdraw the application and send another one. This means that in total I spend 12 connects to apply for the job. That's a lot. 

What we need is to balance the integrity of a proposal and editability after it is submitted. One thing that can be done is to have a limited time like at least 1 minute to retract the submission. I think this way can help freelancers waste their connects to accidental submissions like my case. 🙂

P.S. The premise of my argument takes that the integrity of the proposal is the primary reason for freelancers not having the ability to edit them after submission. This is just a sensible guess and I would love to be corrected/enlightene if this is wrong.  

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can't Upwork give us at least a minute to edit a proposal after they are submitted?"

If Upwork wanted to put the effort into doing some significant we-working of their user interface, then YES, they "could" do that.

Here is a different question:

Q. Will Upwork give us at least a minute to edit a proposal after they are submitted?

A. No, they will not. (Or at least this: No such change has been announced. Don't hold your breath waiting for this.)

Here is another question;

Q. Do I, as a freelancer, need this change?

A. No, I do not. I can proofread my proposal text before submitting it.

Q. Is this fair?

A. Yes. It is fair. Because every freelancer deals with the same limitations.

Finally, always keep in mind, there are two types of discussions:

a) Discussing how the Upwork system could be improved.

b) Discussing how to most effectively use the Upwork system as it currently exists.

These are BOTH valid types of discussion. But they are DIFFERENT.

Discussing about how to improve the Upwork system is neccessary as we are all facing one problem or another. In my case I have lost 170 connects 2 days ago. And I have asked a question about this.

Speaking of discussion, can I suggest this?

The connects that we purchased can be remained for 30 days, not being rolled over on the day of cycle. 

I was not sure when my rollover day was as I was buying connects and without any notification half of them are gone.

There might be other people who are having the same problem. With this thing being solved, could Upwork become a better place for everyone.

Best wishes,,

re: "Speaking of discussion, can I suggest this?"

You are always welcome to make suggestions.

And the Forum is THE correct place to make suggestions.

Ruslan R wrote:

In my case I have lost 170 connects 2 days ago. And I have asked a question about this.

You crossed the rollover limit.

Upwork is very clear about what the rollover limit for Connects is.

Not exactly schadenfreude, but I'm glad they took that 170 from you.

You just had too many, and it causes quite some friction in the Upwork system.

Abinadab A wrote:

but I'm glad they took that 170 from you.

You just had too many

He bought them and paid for them. How is "having" connects causing friction?

Abinadab A wrote:

Not exactly schadenfreude, but I'm glad .

It was the very definition of Schadenfreude. Being pleased about someone else's misfortune. Ugly.

joansands
Community Member

Learn to be careful, Melvie, and learn to proofread.

kat303
Community Member

All you have to do to avoid situations like that in the future is to write your proposal in Microsoft Word or Google Docs or some other word procession program. Spell check it, proofread it and then just copy and paste it into your cover letter/proposal section. 

Problem solved.

I don't think the problem is proofreading. I think the problem could be for example forgetting to add samples, or adding the wrong ones. Anyway, everything is solved watching carefully before clicking Submit.

I think you're the only one who got my point. 😅✌🏻

Surely proofreading is not the issue for me here. Like what I cited, it's the accidental clicks or in general anything accidental that makes you send an unfinished proposal.

As others stated above, I can write my proposal in another program then paste them over to Upwork when I'm done. I also do this. I even double check if everythings to order after pasting in over to Upwork. I am careful but that doesn't prevent us from making mistakes. This is why I think Upwork should allow a limited time for freelancers to edit their proposal after submission. 😊

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members